Part 20: Demetris

Demetris

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The next day, Demetris ventured back into the forest, but he could find to trace of the fairy he had met. The more he looked, the more he began to wonder if he had imagined the whole thing. He was in fact desperate to find evidence of fairies that he could have easily been hallucinating their meeting. Still, he held fast to his heart. She was real. His brain may try to convince him otherwise, but deep down he knew. He also knew that with no proof, he could not tell anyone of their meeting. He was already seen as a fool, so why fuel the flames? The air smelled fresh after the rain from the previous day. The grass looked greener, the flowers brighter, and the animals happier. He may be a mere human, but he still thought he could feel the forest come alive.

It was a very good feeling, and to savor it, he sat down upon the fresh grass. He closed his eyes and breathed in the clean air. His mind began to meditate upon the goodness of the Earth. Images of his home flashed through his mind as did the images of the green woods. The last image to cross his mind was that of Alessandra. He opened his eyes, longing to see her again. He picked a blade of grass and twirled it around his fingers, feeling a little bored.

Standing up, he decided to explore the forest some more. He began to wander in a direction that he did not go the day before landing him to be in a thicker area of the woods. The tree roots were large and twisted, so he had to really watch where he was going to avoid turning his ankle. The sun was brightly shining, but it did not seem like it as the trees blocked the light leaving a green tint in the air. The hike was pleasant enough, but he still was not fully entertained.

He sighed and decided that he should be heading back. It was several minutes after he turned around when he heard a loud crash. In fact, it sounded like a tree had fallen. Curious, he headed in the direction that he heard the sound come from. With the thick growth, it took him nearly forty minutes before he saw the downed tree. It was very tall and had a thick trunk, so he was confused how such a mighty tree could fall. He saw no woodland creatures around the tree and there were no indication that humans had done this either. He up to it to examine it further. As he did so, he thought he caught a glimpse of a shimmering substance out of the corner of his eye. He turned his head and saw no one. Shaking head head, he looked at the tree again.

He spent a while examining the fallen tree. The more he looked at it, the more suspicious he became. The way it had fallen was most unnatural indeed, but he could not begin to imagine how it was done. Unsure what else he could do, he took out his camera from his pack. He took several pictures of the tree and then left, hoping that he could find something online that could help him figure out what had happened.