Haven't we met before?

Fifteen

Samantha

THE television was in the news channel. She and Era were in the leaving room watching the news for about an hour. It has been fifteen minutes since she noticed that Era was staring blankly at the television screen. It was quite obvious that her mind was elsewhere.

The beer that has been in the coffee table was not cold anymore. It was only half done.

She get the remote and turned the television off.

"Hey, I'm watching." She heard her protest.

"You're not."

Era did not confirm her statement but her silence said so. The tall woman took a swig of the beer.

"What's wrong?"

"Just a little tired."

"You should not come."

Era glared at her playfully. She drink her beer again and put it down empty. She leaned back in the couch they were sitting on.

Samantha heard her sigh. A deep one.

"How dirty can Henry play?"

Sam was a bit stun. It was the first time she mentioned her previous boss and boyfriend. However, looking at her friend, Era's question had no underlying intention concerning their former rendezvouz.

"What did he do?" She initially asked.

"We have a project together. There has been a few issues."

"Henry is a shrewd guy. He's not a person to cross. What project is this?"

"The Lucinda's tower."

"He was very excited with that project. He has been looking forward for that to start." She recalled. "It's by far the biggest project he would handle."

She glanced at her company when she did not hear any reactions.

"What happened?"

"I think your ex is trying to sabotage the project."

"Are you sure? He has been eyeing that project for a while. Mister Turner, I mean, his father, wanted his other son, George, to handle the Lucinda project."

"I know his father. He is very thorough. I even met George in one occasion."

She sighed. "Henry is a bit insecure with his brother. He thought that his father favor George."

Era also heaved a sigh. "I hope I'm wrong, Sammy girl. I don't tolerate too much delays in my line of work."

She looked at Era intently. She tried to remember if they came across each other in any gatherings in two years that she worked under Turner Builders.

"Why haven't I met you before? We run in the same circle."

"I don't attend parties often."

"Illusive much?"

"Something like that."

They grinned at each other. It somehow lighten the mood between them.

"Get your things in the car. I knew that you have an overnight bag there." She ordered the tall woman after a while.

Era laughed at her before standing.