Chapter 2: The Start

*Sofia's Pov*

This was it. Today is the day I would start 9th grade. My first year of high school. On Elizabeth's app, she put everyone as rank zero and said she has watchers around the school to make sure this year that everyone has an accurate popularity rank. Oh god, looks like I'll be at the bottom again, but this year I hope to be between #80-99. I just hope. I woke up to the sound of my annoying alarm clock. Ugh. I got out of bed and just stared at the floor for a straight 2 minutes. Then I put on light blue skinny jeans with my timberlands and a white lace top. I had my hair in a fishtail braid. I look at myself in the mirror and smiled hoping today was gonna be a good day. My backpack was set yesterday and it was waiting for me downstairs. I drank an iced tea for breakfast. I don't really eat breakfast anymore cause Elizabeth called me fat last year. Who was I to complain? Since I hadn't been eating breakfast I've gotten skinnier and I hope Elizabeth finally shuts up. I hung out with Anna and Michele this summer. Hayes was on tour all summer so I only saw him on Social Media and TV. I go downstairs and get my backpack while grabbing my phone. "Bye mom." I say walking out the door. "Bye sweetey! Have fun!" She yells making eggs for herself. She doesn't know about me and Hayes not being friends anymore. She still thinks we're close and all. I walk to school feeling happy about my look and attitude. I see someone on the other side of the street. Hayes. He hasn't noticed me yet. Good. I keep walking while texting my friends.

*group chat*
Sofia: Walking to school ✌️
Michele: Same 💁
Anna: I'm with Matthew 😍☺️
Michele: ooooo Anna! Oh yeah, Sofia are you and Hayes going out yet?!
Sofia: Nope. Nope. Nope. He's across the street. But it's a good thing he hasn't noticed me. 😒
Michele: You guys make a cute couple 💕 Make a difference this year. Or at least try. ✌️ Gotta go now see you guys at school.
Anna: Bye
Sofia: Bye 😱💕

*Hayes Pov*
I was walking to school when I heard a tree branch snap and then I heard the words, "shoot." In a whisper yelling sort of tone. It was Sofia. I couldn't tell it was her. She looked different. I admired her face. STOP HAYES STOP. I have Elizabeth. Okay maybe I did like Sofia, but not as much as I liked Elizabeth. Plus she might ruin my reputation, so I went out with Elizabeth and she makes me happy. Sofia caught me staring and just continued walking as if I were a creep. "Hey Sofia! Wait up." I yell trying to get her attention. "What do you want." I hear her say. "What's up?" I say in a cheerful tone. She looks around. "Is this some type of joke? You basically abandon me for being part of the 'cool' people and talk about me, but now you come up to me and wanna talk? Just stop." She said getting upset. "Woah woah woah. I know I left you but can't we be friends? Like start over?" I said practically begging. She looks at me as if I were a booger. "Hayes, I wanna have a good rank this year. If you keep talking to me Elizabeth will know and then she'll think we like each other. She will make my rank lower. I don't wanna be miss un-popular anymore. I don't wanna see you ever again. After everything, you just come up to me wanting to be friends?! Not even a sorry? No, Hayes I don't wanna be your friend. You're probably only asking me cause I'm not as fat as I used to be." She said sounding annoyed. "You were never fat." I blurted out. "Please go away. Won't this affect your rank and you won't be Mr. Popular anymore? Bye Hayes." She says as she walks faster heading to school. I just stop and stand there. I just realized the biggest mistake of my life: Leaving Sofia. Maybe I can fix this. I fell in love with the way she played hard to get. WHAT AM I SAYING?!?