Chapter 17: Edge of Glory

How are you guys doing? I just wanted to let you know that every morning when I wake up, I get excited to read your comments and messages. I truly appreciate each one of you, I really do. Thank you for the endless support and love. Keep safe because someone's thinking of you. 😘

-D

* * * * * *

Bradley's POV

Stefani was trailing behind me as I smiled at the sight of my mother and daughter. My mom handed me Lea and moved pass me to take a glimpse at my company.

I introduced both women who held a special place in my heart. 

"It's lovely to meet you, Gloria." Stefani mumbled as she briefly embraced my mother. She stared at Stefani, studying her beautiful features as I hugged her with my free arm.

"Dear me! You're that girl from the elevator after Sean's benefit." My mom smiled, pleased with her memory.

"Gosh, I'm so sorry you had to see that mess." Stefani laughed shyly.

"You're even more beautiful up close. Happy birthday dear." She says enclosing Stefani into another, motherly hug. "Thank you." 

Their conversation was quick to deepen, as if they were the only ones in the house so I moved over and introduced Lea to Stefani.

"Stef, this is Lea." I motioned my daughter towards Stefani who was still taking in the sight of the newborn.

"Oh my goodness, B! She's so perfect, I might actually fall to pieces" she tried to control her squeal.

"Please don't." I jested, my mother chuckled.

"Hi little angel. Oh my lord, whoever said they don't believe in love at first sight will seriously get their eyes yanked out with my own hands. I love her already, B" Stefani gushed as she raised her heels to glance at the baby on my arms, her voice shrieking.

"Do you want to hold her?" she instantly nodded and held her arms out.

With a huge grin on her face, she wrapped the baby around her arms. "Aw wow, you are so cute! Who's the cutest little baby in the world? Who? You? Of course it is!" Stefani cooed.

I watched her interact with Lea so naturally that it physically hurts to see how perfect it was.

My mom moved to my side and smiled. "Look at Lea's ease with her. She really likes Stefani huh?"

I could only nod my head in response, trying to tear my focus from Stefani who was humming Joanne to Lea was almost impossible, an unfathomable sensation gurgling through my system.

Then, for some reason, my eyes landed on the frame beside Stefani that had my father's picture in. 

Then it hits me. This was the reckoning of what my father always drew irresistibly the attention and interest about life.

Being in the same place with the same people who kept my heart safe and full was all the love I needed and now I finally understood what he meant. Wow, who even knew this was possible?

As always, my mother's maternal instincts were sharp as ever when she noticed my demeanor, she pulled me into a tight hug.

"Patience, my love" she whispered.

"Wha -"

"I see the way you look at her and I know that look. That's how your father used to look at me when I put you or your sister to sleep or even when I make him something to drink."