Stranger in the Dark

Scorpius

  I was mumbling under my breath as I walked around the train in search for Lily. I shook my head, sometimes I couldn’t stand Demon. She was bossy and always targeted me. It’s not my fault Lily is sensitive. Maybe if she stayed out of other people’s business she wouldn’t have any problems.

  I sighed and leaned up against the wall. Why was it that Lily was the one to figure it out? I groaned and then went back to searching for her when I heard crying. I looked into the compartment I heard the crying coming from and it was dark. I opened up the compartment and walked inside. The crying stopped as soon as I was in the room and I looked around.

  “Lily?” I asked trying to figure out if she was in here and where she was.

  There was no reply. At first I thought I must have been in the wrong compartment, but then I heard heavy breathing from the corner of the room. I sighed.

  “Lily, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you.”

  I waited for her reply again but still nothing. I shook my head, “You are such a whiney brat. I’m sorry okay? How many times do I have to apologize for this? If you learned to keep your mouth shut this wouldn’t have happened.”

  “Who are you talking to?” a voice came from the far corner or the room and I squinted trying to see them. It wasn’t Lily’s voice and it wasn’t a voice I knew either.

  “Oh, sorry. I’m just looking for my friend. I’ll be going now.”

  “Wait,” I paused midstride as I was trying to leave the compartment. I turned around and saw someone standing behind me, “Don’t go?”

  I turned around, “Why not?”

  A sob range out from somewhere behind me, “I don’t want to be alone.”

  I nodded, “I guess that’s a good enough reason. Alright, I’ll stay, but can I get your name?”

  The figure shook their head, “I prefer if you didn’t.”

  “Why not?” I asked again.

  They replied, “I don’t want you to know who I am. You don’t need to know who this crying fool is.”

  I smiled, “It’s okay. I won’t judge you for it.”

  They shook their head again, “Please, just stay here with me for a little while.”

  I nodded again, “Sure, okay. No problem.”

  I found the seat in the dark and sat down, crossing my legs underneath me. The person sat beside me and I smiled, “So what’s wrong?”

  They shook their head, “Don’t worry about it.”

  “Well, okay then.”

  “Who’s Lily?” they asked softly.

  “You won’t tell me who you are or what’s wrong but you want me to tell you who Lily is?”

  They nodded, “Yeah.”

  “How is that fair?”

  “It’s not.”

  “Then why ask it?”

  “Because I can.”

  I shook my head, “That makes no sense at all.”

  “I never said I make sense.”

  I laughed, “This is true.”

  I had been getting agitated with the person when they expected me to explain who Lily was, but for some reason I just couldn’t stay mad at them.