The Tutoring Continues. Or Does It?

My week of halfway-blissful suspension crawled by. Ira continued to tutor me, but I was completely lost when I returned to school. After all, Ira isn't exactly a teacher. I needed to attend the real classes to understand.

Math was horrifying. The lecture our teacher gave us was useless gibberish to me. The assignment, however, was short and simple, which means I probably got every question wrong.

I hastily turned the paper in and checked my grades on one of the school's computers.

A killer clown coming for my ass would be less terrifying than what my grades had to behold. My math and history were both F's with not a single A in sight.

I almost fainted then and there.

Bailey said no secrets, but I might die of shame if she found out about that. That counts as life-threatening, right? I could absolutely die if I told her. It was life-threatening, so it was a secret I could keep. Absolutely. Totally. Completely.

I'm a terrible brother.

I nervously debated asking Ira to tutor me after school. Our agreement technically ended when my suspension was over. I was back in school, and had a teacher now.

I seriously needed a tutor. It was bad.

A few kids threw me weird looks as I walked out of the class without noticing the seven miniature braids I'd unconsciously woven into my hair. Being a nervous wreck, it wasn't such a bad look. I could even say that it suited me.

Ignoring the new hair trend I was setting and the side glances, I came into the gym locker room. The other guys were there already, changing and getting ready. I was mentally preparing what I needed to say to Ira.

I wasn't in his debt, was I? I mean, he was the one trying to make it up to me after years of the anguish he caused me. Although he had tutored and helped me in my time of need and I was now begging for his help again, I decided I didn't owe him much. Maybe a little, because I was feeling awkward asking for favors.

"Sup, Lin!" a cheery voice called.

I spun around, somehow more uncomfortable being nice to him than being bullied by him.

The tables were turning every which way and I was not okay with that.

"Hey," I replied, trying to sound casual and ultimately failing miserably. The voice crack was the cherry on top.

"Wow. No 'what do you want' or 'leave me alone'? I'm honored."

I scoffed. "Shut up."

"There we go."

"Shut up–I mean–what do you wa–wait."

He stood there, an evil glint in his eyes and a victorious smirk on his cocky face.

"You stole all my lines! Now what do I say?"

"The 'hey' was more creative, maybe you could stick with real greetings."

I pretended to consider it for a second. "Nah."

"Suit yourself."

"Was that your plan to start a conversation?"

"Sure is. Did it work?"

"Nah."

He rolled his eyes at me.

Averting my eyes, I decided that there was no better time to ask for tutoring.

I opened my mouth to speak at the same time as Ira.