First Day

Torryn's P.o.V

We walked into the building and onto the elevator. Being so close to her was torture. The smell of her perfume was so intoxicating making it a million times harder to resist touching her than it already was. The car was filled with the scent of musky vanilla and sandalwood. I was holding my breath to keep myself from acting out something that should not happen with her. My receptionist stood as she saw me.

"Good morning, Mr. Carter."

"Good morning, Ms. Kingsley. This is Miss. Ripley. She is my new secretary."

"It's nice to meet you, miss."

"Nice to meet you as well."

I guided Logan to her desk and explained things. I couldn't help but notice the way that she took her lower lip in between her teeth as she listens carefully to what I was telling her. I left her to get started and headed to my office. I know having Logan here is going to be a distraction. I could already tell by the way some of the men in the office were staring at her as we walked by. Not that I could blame them. Logan was like no other woman I had ever seen. She didn't look like she belonged here, but I wasn't about to leave her alone at home. Too many things that she could get into that she doesn't need to get into. 

Logan's P.o.V

I have met a few other people here. I met a woman not much older than me named Anna and we hit it off. Turns out she works in marketing and she has worked for Torryn for the last three years, and Torryn has had far too many secretaries in all that time. 

I checked the time on my phone and saw that it was half-past 12. I was about to get up and knock on Torryn's door when I looked up to see him standing in front of my desk with his hands in his suit pants pockets. 

"Oh, Mr. Carter, I was just about to come and ask to go to lunch."

"Well, Miss Ripley, I was heading out to lunch. I have an hour before I have a meeting."

"And you want me to go to lunch with you?"

"Yes, do you have a problem with that?"

"Um, yeah. I already made lunch plans with Anna from Marketing."

"Oh, well, you can go." 

"Okay, see you in an hour." 

I grabbed my things as Anna came walking up to my desk.

"Mr. Carter," Anna said with a tense tone.

"Miss. Verity."

"Okay, you ready Logan? There is this pub not far from her that has amazing burgers and chips."

"Oh, two of my most favorite things. Let's go eat!" 

The two of us left and walked down the street. 

"So how did you get to become Mr. Carter's secretary?"

"Well, you can't tell anyone."

"Love, I don't have anyone to talk to. I haven't talked to another woman close to my age in ages. So, spill."

"He is my stepbrother, and as far as anyone else here knows we are a couple."

"How did that happen?"

"We ran into his ex over the weekend. She called me something and he came back and said I was his girlfriend."

"Well, then I guess you won't be going anywhere anytime soon."

"And what is that supposed to mean?"

"Means that you are personally involved with him, and I am glad that you won't be going anytime soon. I need a friend."

"Well, I need a friend too."

"So, where did you get your shirt. It's gorgeous."

"I made it."

"Wait you made it?"

"Ya, I make a lot of my clothes."

"Wow, that is amazing."

"Ya, I just found out this morning that Torryn has an event to go to later this week and I have a dress that I made being mailed here from America. Do you want to see it?"

"Uh, duh."

The rest of our lunch, I showed her pictures of all of the clothes that I made. I think I'm going to like it here.