Charity Event Pt. I

Logan's P.o.V

"So, you're going to the charity event tonight?" I asked Anna.

"Yes, I worked with Mr. Carter's mother a year ago to help her out with something and she invited me this year."

"She likes me. She came over for dinner the other night and was impressed with me. Most mothers hate me. Like really hate me. I was surprised when she offered me a job."

"Wait, Katherine Carter offered you a job? She is a fashion icon."

"Yeah, I noticed. I don't know if I'm going to take it though. I like working for my brother even if everyone thinks we are a thing. He likes me."

"Yeah, I think he likes more than just likes you."

"What are you talking about?"

"Two days ago when I came to get you for lunch, did you even notice the way he was looking at you when you turned him down for lunch?"

"I have no clue what you are talking about. Do you know how that sounds? There is no way that he would like someone like me. Not to mention, he's my stepbrother."

"He would so not like a woman that is sexy, independent, and not afraid to speak her mind. Yeah, he totally wouldn't like you. Do you even have a fantasy about him?"

"What is that even supposed to mean?"

"Oh my goodness! You've never thought about him in any way other than just your brother?"

"Okay, I am not going to talk to you about this anymore."

"That just answered my question. I'm positive that he wants you. You just have to see that for yourself."

"Yeah, whatever. I need to get back to the office. Torryn wants me to sit in at his next meeting."

"Trust me, I know men."

"Fine, whatever. I'll see you tonight."

I got back to the office to find Torryn sitting at my desk. 

"How long have you been waiting for me?" I asked grabbing my tablet.

"Not long. How was lunch?"

"It was fine until Anna started talking about something so ridiculous."

"Oh yeah, and what did she say?"

"Um, I'd rather not talk about it. Come on, the meeting starts in ten minutes."

 I turned and headed to the conference room. I could feel his eyes on me the entire time. I will not think about the ridiculous conversation I had with Anna. I sat quietly during the meeting taking notes while listening to Torryn speak about the collaboration. I would notice Torryn staring at me from time to time throughout the meeting. I figured that he was just watching me making sure I was keeping up. By the end of the meeting, it was time to head home. I had to prepare for tonight's charity event. I was nervous. I would be presented as my stepbrother's girlfriend.

"Okay, I am going to get ready. It will take me a couple of hours to get ready."

Torryn just shook his head and walked away.

I ran up to my room and jumped in the shower. I shaved my entire body and washed my hair. I decided to a braided half updo. One of my friends back home taught me how to weave strands of hair into a braid around the crown of my head. I curled the rest of my hair and did my makeup. I took my dress out of the garment bag. I had made this dress a few months ago thinking that I would be able to go to the spring formal. Now I have a reason to wear it. It was a dark burgundy long sleeve off-the-shoulder high-low with black lace on the bodice. By the time I got the dress on there was thirty minutes until we had to be at the event. I put on my burgundy ankle strap peep toe sandal stiletto heels. It was kind of cold outside so I grabbed my black pea coat and slung it over my arm and picked up my clutch from my dresser. 

I made my way downstairs after spritzing myself with perfume. 

"Logan, we are going to be late, and if we are late, my mother is not going to be happy."

"Calm down, I'm coming."

I was too busy watching my steps as I made it down the stairs that I didn't notice what Torryn was wearing. Somehow, we ended up matching perfectly. He wore a burgundy suit with a black dress shirt and a slate gray tie. His hair was styled so perfectly that I wanted to run my fingers through it and mess it up. His eyes wandered down my body. Just him looking at me was enough to set me on fire. I pushed the thoughts and feelings away and focused on trying to speak.

"Well, this wasn't planned," I said after clearing my throat.

"No, no it was not. You look gorgeous."

"Oh, thanks. You don't look bad yourself."

"Come on, let's go. Felix is waiting."

I put my coat on and walked out in front of him. This night is going to be interesting.