Chapter 4

My arms shiver from the weight of the box.

"I can't!" I yell before dropping something I'm glad isn't glass on the tar beneath me.

The moving guy laughs picking up the box at my feet with so much ease I'm embarrassed by my lack of strength.

"I told you that you don't have to help them it's the least they can do since they broke my lamp." Lucy snarls at the young boy in the Finridge Movers T-shirt who cowers back inside after picking up a box.

"Lucy." I sigh, feeling awkward on his behalf.

She rolls her eyes and stands beside me, leaning against her car.

"We should go somewhere tonight."she smiles deviously.

"We should get your car serviced before we do anything else." My words deflate her happiness but before she continues I turn to her to express my seriousness. "I'm upset that you drove around town like that. It's very dangerous, Lucy."

She sighs loudly and rolls her eyes again. "I know, mom. I'm sorry, we'll find a place to take a look at it." she whines but her words put me at ease.

Sitting on the bar stool I watch Lucy pull two long stem glasses out of a box and place them on the counter that separates us. She then pulls a large bottle of wine from her bag.

"To this apartment and a new year full of new experiences." She hands me a glass.

"Cheers." I say greeting our glasses.

I see Lucy take a full swig of her glass and I watch, as I usually do, in shock.

"I hate flying." is all she offers as explanation and pours herself another glass.

"So where do you think we should put the rug?" I ask, looking around at our small but spacious apartment.

"I think between the sofas but this..." Pulling my attention back to her I see her holding up my DREAM sign that I left in my dorm but I'm sure she saved it for me, "Has no business being in our apartment."

I'm laughing at the serious look in her face. I remember the first time she came into my dorm and saw the sign. She ranted about how much she hated it and I was laughing so hard my belly was aching.

"C'mon Luce dreams are important." I giggle knowing the sign doesn't mean anything to me other than a beacon of our friendship. The memory of our first sleepover. My first sleepover.

"Teacher." I reply.

"I could see that." He nods and I don't know why but his words feel validating.

"And you?"I ask and notice his face turn to stone.

His shock makes me wonder if this is the first time someone's asked him this before.

"Well it depends on whatever I get but I..." he's hesitant and I unfold my arms to lean closer, offering my attention as comfort. "I kinda like cars and bikes and picking them apart and putting them back together." he says and immediately rubbing his hand over his face in embarrassment.

"A mechanic?" I offer the shy large boy sitting on my bedroom floor.

"Yeah but I'm fucking dreaming." He chuckles dryly, blessing me with his beautiful dark eyes and I'm starting to wonder if Mom was right about me having a crush.

"I doubt that'll ever happen." He shrugs, going back to reading his notes.

"Dreams are important." I whisper but the words echo in the silent room.