Chapter 8

"It fits! I'm stealing it." Lucy excitedly emerges from my bathroom.

We had dinner with my parents last night and Lucy got to meet them for the first time. She was really nervous at first which is a very foreign emotion for my friend but Mom adores her and Momma says she'll make for a promising lawyer so naturally Lucy was over the moon chuffed with herself.

We decided it made more sense if she slept over so I wouldn't have to drive back the next day to grab the things I needed from my old room.

Lucy raided my High School wardrobe which were basically just skirts and cardigans that Mom would get me since I didn't really put too much thought into my appearance. I like to think is something I got from Momma but in all honesty I spent so much time perfecting my grades that anything outside of it was not of importance to me.

"How have you never dated anyone and this was what you wore to school?" Lucy laughs and shakes her hips slowly in my mirror.

Her eyes are focused on her long legs and her hands move up and down her waist.

I'm so used to this routine of her being attracted to herself in whatever clothing and prancing around our dorm room sensually that I forgot we were actually not in our dorm room but my bedroom instead. My door opens and my Mom freezes in the doorway before I'm even able to process the situation enough to explain it.

She stares between me and Lucy in her frozen state and I mimic her actions but notice Lucy is turned towards my bookshelf and completely unaware that my mom has entered the room and probably thinks her daughter is a master manipulator and lied about Lucy being 'just a friend'.

"Woah, you have a lot of medals-" She finally turns to see my mom and the folded empty boxes in her hands.

"Perfect sizes. Thank you Mrs Wallace" Lucy crosses the room and manages to defrost my mom.

"N-no problem, dear." My mom's never soft voice says breathlessly.

"I'm labeling these boxes Sunny but this and whatever else I like in her closet will belong to me." Lucy pulls at my former skirt and laughs taking the boxes from my mom.

Mom giggles uncomfortably and leaves the room in a hurry.

I really hope she doesn't go running off to Momma with her suspicions.

"I guess you couldn't really find time for being promiscuous in high school if you were so busy raking up every medal you could find." She says, strumming the medals on my wall which ring throughout the room.

"Dolton High Science fair winner 2016, 2015, 201- damn Sunny! Did you ever let anyone else get a chance to impress their parents?"

"I really enjoyed it." that's a lie.

I worked really hard to be good at science from what I remember from the sleepless nights and it was just my luck that the science kids in my year were just not as good otherwise I would've definitely had less medals.

Truth is my grades propelled after Neoma got sent away. My moms were going through so much after the incident and I'd never seen Momma so panicked. It scared me even more so that I couldn't share that fear with my sister. And my sister, oh goodness I couldn't imagine her feeling more out of place so I never mentioned that Mom and Momma were constantly fighting when I went to visit her at the centre.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't add to their stress by worrying about me or my grades so I studied real hard to be top of my class but with that came a lack of social skills and after a concerning conversation Mom had with my teacher she sat me down and asked me why I never brought any friends home. The concern on her face felt like someone pinched my heart. I couldn't believe I caused my already panicked mother more stress. So when I got an invite to Dylan Johnson's 12th birthday party I raced home to tell my moms.