Chapter 38

"A day off?" Ella and I ask in unison.

It's been forever since I've done that.

"Shhh." Derek hushes us as he looks over his shoulder, "I'm not supposed to say anything because Mr Rossi wrote it in fine print some place buried in the back of your contract but yes, a day off. Any day of your choosing. I wish someone would've told me this shit when I was a student teacher but they didn't so the 2 of you owe me everything."

"Of course." Ella wraps her arm around him and kisses his cheek softly.

"I'm doing a Monday so I can go on that boat trip with my family in a few weeks. You?" She asks.

"I don't know really it doesn't change that much for me. I see my family all the time and I live with my friend so." I shrug.

"Well maybe a day at the spa or the zoo or literally anywhere other than here for a whole freaking day." Ella giggles.

After Leo called me on my lunch break the day's gone by much faster. I think it's because I'm finding ways to keep busy so I won't obsesses about this afternoon. I was totally surprised when I saw him calling and I felt like a little bit of a stalker for leaving 4 missed calls on his phone but he didn't seem to mind it at all.

A second date? Wait is it a date? Maybe he wants to take me some place to end this... before it even started.

"No, Sunniva stop." I shake my head as I walk towards my car.

I look around at the busy parking lot when I hear someone calling my name. It's Mato and I see him walking towards me while shoving files into the bag hanging over his shoulder.

"So the mathletes have an evening tournament and even though I have 2 teachers already volunteering I was wondering if you still wanted to join?" He says pushing his glasses up with his index finger. It's something he does a lot in class.

"Oh shoot. Evening? As in today's evening?" I ask, hoping I'm wrong.

"Yeah, why is it a bad time? It's really okay if you can't make it. I just wanted to ask because you and Ella gave the kids so much energy the last time and no offense but the older teachers couldn't be bothered to cheer on the team."

"I thought we got in trouble for that?"

"Yeah, it's not permitted but the kids enjoyed it anyway." He says, making me laugh.

"Well..." I look away, weighing my options.

Do I really want to go out with Leo if he's just going to tell me he doesn't want to see me anymore or should I avoid it by being a last minute chaperone to this evening's tournament?

"I really would love to, Mato but I made plans earlier." I bite my lip, hoping he's not too upset.

"Ok, that's no problem, Miss Wallace. It was last minute anyway. I'll be sure you tell you the score." He offers.

"Please do."

"I'll see you in the morning, Sunny."

"Goodbye Mr. Smith." I wave before continuing  toward to my car.

The minute I get upstairs I rush into a shower and scrub off the day. Monday's are the busiest and meanest days.

My bedside clock says I have half an hour to get ready so I get started on my hair before I pick out an outfit. I'm usually not that fussy about what I wear because I've had the same style since I was nine but I want to try something different tonight.

I tie a small scarf around my head while I run around my room matching different pieces of clothing. If I had an indication of where we'd be going it be a lot easier to make a decision but I am clueless.