Chapter 15

Her hand slips from mine and she places it under her head.

I stand from the couch and look down at Sunny curled up on her sofa like a cat.

How did she fall asleep that quickly and with no regard for her surroundings? I'd be so pissed if my chest didn't suddenly fill with warmth. She trusts me.

I look around at the dimly lit room for something to cover her up but I can't find anything.

Against my better judgement I walk down the hallway to where I assume her room to be. I'm proven correct when I enter a room and the sweet smell of Lavender, that's practically attached to Sunniva, fills my nose.

I ignore my curiosity to look around her room and just grab the purple blanket folded on her bed.

A small shadow gasps as I make my way out the hallway.

"What th-"

"Sunniva is sleeping on the couch." I tell the annoying girl, "Don't wake her."

I walk around her to get back to the lounge where I find Sunny undisturbed on the sofa.

She looks so peaceful and vulnerable right now. I feel ease in my chest but a heaviness as well.
She is not Knives, she's not malicious and a lunatic but she's also not capable of detecting obvious danger and even less capable of defending herself against it.

I shake the concerning thoughts from my head when laying the blanket over her.

I sigh looking down at this sleeping beauty that has recently shaken up my life. I don't want to leave but I doubt her friend would allow me to spend the night just staring at her.

As I exit the room I see Lucy standing by the door, obviously waiting for me to leave.

I don't say anything as I exit but she stops me at the threshold with her words, "I don't trust you."

"I don't care." I huff and continue again.

"She told me about you." her words stop me again but I don't turn around, "About how you two were friends once, about why you aren't anymore, about your brother..."

I turn to face her this time.

"I don't know what your deal is but I don't think it's safe for you to be hanging around her." Her voice is concerned but her words feel like a threat.

I take a deep breath hoping it'll calm me, "You wanna know what's not safe?" I move closer and I see her take a step back into their apartment.

"It's not safe to assume shit about someone you don't know and even if your assumptions are correct it's not safe to then threaten the person you're now so obviously scared of." I gesture to her retreating form, "You also shouldn't let someone you're suspicious of into your apartment while your unsuspecting friend is inside because that's not safe."

She says nothing but her face is a mixture of anger and fear. She shuts the door in my face and I'm more upset that it might wake Sunniva than I am about being disrespected.

I'm on edge as I make my way to my car but I try breathing to calm myself down. It's never worked before so I try filling my head with positive thoughts instead and I'm swarmed with images of a redhead with big, brown eyes and a bright smile.

By the time the red light changes to green it's worked. Now I'm just smiling to myself like a fucking idiot.

She's as curious as I remember. Always watching me, questions bubbling at the surface but she never asks. She's probably always been too nervous and I don't think I'd want to tell her. I'm not a monster to Sunny and for some reason that's always made me feel worth a damn.