5

Shanya pov

I got up to see who it was. I looked at the monitor screen and saw Ed standing there. I was so angry, I could have screamed. That nigga had stolen my rent money the last time I let him in my house.

I opened the door, curious to know why he was there. "Hmm..." I said, my voice dripping with annoyance.

"Where's my $600?" he laughed. The nerve of him! He thought I was playing games.

I slammed the door in his face. "Nigga Laugh at that," I muttered to myself as I walked back to the couch and sat down.

...𝐴 𝑤ℎ𝑖𝑙𝑒 𝑙𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑟…

After watching SpongeBob reruns for almost two hours, I realized it was almost time to get ready to go out. I got up and stretched, looking over at Lyna. She was completely knocked out.

I let out a sigh. "Oh well," I said to myself. "Guess that cancels our plans."

I went upstairs and grabbed a blanket from my guest bedroom. I ran back downstairs and gently draped it over Lyna. I smiled at her sleeping face.

I decided to make some food. I went into the kitchen and took out the ingredients for curry chicken and rice with cabbage.

I was almost finished with the rice when Lyna woke up. "Ooh, girl, it smells good in here," she said, her voice full of excitement.

"Thank you," I replied, smiling. "I try."

She laughed. "What are you cooking?"

"Your favorite: rice, cabbage, red beans, curry chicken, and cornbread," I said.

Lyna's eyes lit up. "Aye, girl, you know what it is," she said, laughing. She went into the bathroom.

I swear I love her. I don't know where I would be right now if it wasn't for her. After everyone left me, she and her family were the only ones there for me. She's the greatest friend I could ask for.

I sighed and shook my head, trying to push those thoughts aside. That was a story for another time.

I turned around and turned off the timer. It was time to put the cornbread in the oven.

I took the pan off the counter and placed it in the oven. As soon as I closed the door, Lyna walked out of the bathroom and sat down on the stool at the island.

So, girl, how do you feel about your new job?" Lyna asked.

I looked at her and rolled my eyes. "I don't have the job yet. It's just the interview."

She smacked her teeth. "You're going to get the job, girl. I know it."

I rolled my eyes and checked on the food. "Well, the food is done. We just have to wait for the cornbread."

"Okay, I see you, Chef Shanya, up in the kitchen cooking it up," Lyna said, being extra for no reason at all.

After the cornbread was done, I got us down some plates. "Hey! Are you going to make your plate, or am I going to?" I asked.

Lyna just smiled at me, letting me know that I would be making her food.

I smacked my teeth and started making our plates.

I finished making our food and set the plates on the island. I went over to Bunny and gave him a can of wet food.

"Here, you hungry ass. You just had a snack," I said, laughing.

I walked back over to the island and sat down. I looked up to see Lyna giving me a strange look.

"What?" she asked.

"Nothing," she said, shaking her head. "Girl, you need a man. That's weird."

I laughed and tried to ignore her. As I ate my food, my mind kept wandering back to the man from earlier. I didn't usually talk to guys outside of work, but damn, he was fine. I wondered what his name was.

I sighed and shook my head, trying to focus on my food. I hoped I would see him again.