xv- quidditch

"WE'VE GOT THIS." Jessica reassured Wood, who was not eating anything, "When has Harry ever let us down?"

"It's going to be a tough one," said Wood, shaking his head ever so slightly.

"Stop worrying, Wood," said Angelina soothingly, "us Gryffindors don't mind a little bit of rain."

   But it was considerably more than a bit of rain. Such was the popularity of Quidditch that the whole school turned out to watch the match as usual, but they ran down the lawns toward the Quidditch field, heads bowed against the ferocious wind, umbrellas being whipped out of their hands as they went.

  The team changed into their scarlet robes and waited for Wood's usual pre-match pep talk, as it had been called, but it didn't come. He tried to speak several times, made an odd gulping noise, then shook his head hopelessly and beckoned them to follow him.

  The wind was so strong that they staggered sideways as they walked out onto the field. If the crowd was cheering, they couldn't hear it over the fresh rolls of thunder.

  The Hufflepuffs were approaching from the opposite side of the field, wearing canary yellow robes. The Captains walked up to each other and shook hands. Cedric smiled at Wood but Wood no, looked as though he had lockjaw and merely nodded.

They saw Madam Hooch's mouth form the words, "Mount Your brooms."

    Jessica put her right foot out of the mud with a squelch and swung it over her broom, and took a deep breath. They've got this. Madam Hooch put her whistle to her lips and gave it a blast that sounded shrill and distant they were off.

  It was hard to see where they were going, and Jessica struggled against the strong wind. She saw the Hufflepuff Chaser pass the Quaffle to another Hufflepuff Chaser, and he aimed for the middle hoop, but it was thrown off by Wood. Jessica caught the Quaffle and swung it towards Angelina who passed it back to her, as Flint was circling her.

    Jessica narrowly avoided a bludger, aimed, and scored. The games carried on, and Gryffindor was fifty points ahead, the game was starting to get messy. It was getting so hard to see where they were going, that Katie handed the Quaffle to Hufflepuff's chaser once.

    Jessica quickly and troublesomely glanced at Harry. His glasses were dripping with water, he probably couldn't see anything. Wood noticed too, and called for a time out.

"I called for time-out!" Wood roared at them. "Come on, under here —"

  They huddled at the edge of the field under a large umbrella, Harry asked the score, and it was told. They were still fifty points ahead.

"I've got no chance with these on," Harry said exasperatedly, waving his glasses.

  At that very moment, Hermione appeared at his shoulder; she was holding her cloak over her head and was, inexplicably, beaming.

"I've had an idea, Harry! Give me your glasses, quick!"

He handed them to her, and as the team watched in amazement, Hermione tapped them with her wand and said, "Impervius!"

"There!" she said, handing them back to Harry. "They'll repel water!"

  Wood looked as though he could have kissed her.

"Brilliant!" Jessica exclaimed, "Why didn't I think of that?"

   The game got messier still. Cedric was gaining on Harry, and he spotted the snitch. Harry didn't. Wood called out to Harry, to tell him about the snitch, but Harry had gotten distracted. He was looking behind some bushed, and all of a sudden, he was out of sight. He was falling. Falling. Falling. And landed with a thud.

     Diggory caught the snitch.

"Lucky the ground was so soft."

"I thought he was dead for sure."

"But he didn't even break his glasses."

  Around Harry's bed now in the Hospital Wing, everyone was mumbling to each other, and Jessica let out a cry. Harry's eyes had snapped open.

"Harry!" Jessica exclaimed, gripping his head, "Gosh, I was so scared!"

"What happened?" Hardy said, sitting up so suddenly that they all gasped.

"You fell off," said Fred. "Must've been — what —fifty feet?"

"We thought you'd died," said Katie, who was shaking.

"But the match," said Harry. "What happened? Are we doing a replay?"

  No one said anything. No one wanted to be the one to break out the truth to Harry. That Cedric had caught the snitch.

"We didn't — lose?"

"Diggory got the Snitch," said George. "Just after you fell. He didn't realize what had happened. When he looked back and saw you on the ground, he tried to call it off. Wanted a rematch. But they won fair and square . . . even Wood admits it."

"Where is Wood?" said Harry.

"Still in the showers," Jessica grimaced. "We think he's trying to drown himself."

"Hey Padfoot," Jessica said, as she entered her dormitory, "We lost the match. Harry fell off his broom." Jessica closed the door of the dorm and locked it, "Come on, you can change now."

Padfoot turned into Sirius, and he now had a very guilty looking expression, "Jessica ... I might have done something that I shouldn't have."

Jessica frowned, "What are you talking about, Pad?"

"I may or may not have wanted to see the match, and maybe Harry spotted me by the bushed," Sirius covered his face, "sorry!"

"Padfoot! You idiot!" Jessica groaned, "We lost the match, Wood is trying to kill himeslf, and Harry's broom is broken!"

"Sorry! But I really wanted to see my daughter's first match!" Sirius said.

"I hate you." Jessica mumbled.

"Your mom said that too." Sirius blurted out, chuckling.

"Who was my mom? I don't know anything about her." Jessica asked quietly.

"What? Why?! Remus never told you?" Sirius asked.

"I don't know her name." Jessica admitted.

"That's it! We're heading off to Remus Lupin's office right now, and I'm going to give him a piece of my mind!" Sirius said.

"Calm your tits, Padfoot."