ACT ONE | SCENE FIVE

SCENE FIVE

(Payless Shoes. JEREMY and MICHAEL in front of a SCARY STOCKBOY, who's ignoring them. MICHAEL pushes JEREMY forward.)

"Remember, I'm always there to give a little push," Michael says, chuckling at Jeremy, who was trying to throw M&M's in his mouth, but was failing. When Jeremy noticed Michael watching him, he just smiled awkwardly, causing them to burst into quite laughter. (Me too Jer.)

JEREMY
I like your sideburns. Wolverine, right?

Michael sighs and shakes his head. "Pfffftttt," Rich starts, bursting into a laugh that included lots of snorting. Jake starts blushing and cuddling the giggling boy more.

SCARY STOCKBOY
Let's see the money.

JEREMY
What?

SCARY STOCKBOY
IT'S FROM JAPAN
IT'S A GREY OBLONG PILL
QUANTUM NANOTECHNOLOGY CPU
THE QUANTUM COMPUTER IN THE PILL
WILL TRAVEL THROUGH YOUR BLOOD UNTIL
IT IMPLANTS IN YOUR BRAIN AND IT TELLS YOU WHAT TO DO

JEREMY
...How did you know why I'm here?

SCARY STOCKBOY
Just look at you, kid.

"That's a bit rude." Jade says, raising their eyebrows. Jeremy shrugs.

"Yeah, big oof," Christine remarks.

(JEREMY pulls out the money.) Is that four hundred?

JEREMY
Four?

SCARY STOCKBOY
Is that a problem?

JEREMY
Uh... no! Actually, there's a guy at my school...

"Don't tell him that!!" Rich starts, clearly understanding how people like that work.

(off MICHAEL)

"See? Even I get it!" Michael pipes up. He didn't even deal with people like that, but he still had the common sense.

Uh. Four hundred? Yes! If you insist.

Everyone chuckles.

(JEREMY hands over the money. The STOCKBOY presents him with a shoebox.)

JEREMY
Uh, ladies' running shoes?

(The STOCKBOY opens the box...and pulls out a small gray pill.)

SCARY STOCKBOY
Just so we're clear: this is untested technology. And it's not exactly legal.

Christine's eyes widen. "But everything is legal in Jersey," they say, confusing the hell out of everyone except Rich, Jake, Michael, Jade, and Issie, who all start chuckling.

Jeremy shoots Michael a look, only for Michael to say, "Jer, you don't get it cause you're uncultured. Don't worry, I'll fix that later..."

Which is why you're paying for it with cash in the back of a shoe store. I take no responsibility for what you might do with it. Or what it might do with you.

"Like that doesn't seem hella shady," Chloe remarks. Brooke nods in agreement, leaning her head on Chloe's shoulder.

JEREMY
What might it do with me?

SCARY STOCKBOY
To activate! Take it with Mountain Dew. I don't know why! Just something about Mountain Dew.

Brooke adds, "No wonder! Mountain Dew is gross!"

"It is not!" Michael retorts. She sticks her tongue out at him, who copies her.

"Okay, children, break it up..." Jake says sternly.

And, this is important-

(JENNA ROLAN enters the store, and the STOCKBOY barks at her.)

"That's why he looked familiar!" Jenna says.

We're sold out!

JENNA ROLAN
Of...shoes?

SCARY STOCKBOY
Oh! Oh, you're here for shoes.

JENNA
Payless.

SCARY STOCKBOY
My bad. (to JEREMY) Scram, kid.

JEREMY
Wait, you were saying something important...

SCARY STOCKBOY
Oh yeah. All sales final.

"Wonder what the important thing was." Michael says.

"It wath how to de-activate it." Rich replies.

Jeremy rolls his eyes, "That would of been helpful."

"It's a good job I figured it out." Michael smiles, leaning into Jeremy, who smiles at him.

"Yeah..." He sighs.

(ad-lib to JENNA as he leads her off) Right this way miss, we just got in a killer pair of pumps...

JENNA
Killer?...

Chloe raises her eyebrow, "Did you buy those shoes?"

"No." Jenna chuckles.

"Of all thingth to athk, it wath about the thhoeth?" Rich asks, with a weirded-out expression on his face. Chloe sticks her tongue out at him, like Brooke. He copies her, like Michael did.

"I'm surrounded by children..." Jake sighs.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! Thanks for reading ☺️
This one was short...
But it was fun to write!
Until the next one, bye!!