ACT TWO | SCENE EIGHT

SCENE EIGHT

(The night of the play. CHRISTINE addresses the audience in a pre-curtain speech.)

CHRISTINE
Welcome, everyone. Thank you so much for coming to our production of "A Midsummer Nightmare About Zombies". It's been a rough week for us at Middleborough. That's why this play is so important - to bring this school together! To share with you something special! I know that if Rich were here, instead of the intensive care unit at Beth Israel, he'd say: "Go out there and show everyone the relevant power of live theatre!"

"I abtholutely would not." Rich says, making the group chuckle.

MR. REYES (offstage)
(coughs) Costumes.

"Subtle." Chloe scoffs.

CHRISTINE
Oh... And thanks to Hobby Lobby for the costumes.

(Backstage at the play. Everyone getting in and out of costumes.)

CHRISTINE
Places, everyone! Break a leg!

(JAKE DILLINGER, on crutches with both legs in casts, glares at her.)

JAKE
Not cool.

Christine snorts, "Why do I not remember that?!"

(He shuffles off as JEREMY enters.)

JEREMY
Christine!

CHRISTINE
Jeremy! Where have you been? It's so bad. Mr. Reyes made himself your understudy.

JEREMY
Isn't he understudying Rich?

CHRISTINE
He's both.

JEREMY
Oh god. Look, I've been thinking about what you said at the party

Brooke sighs, "This isn't the best time, just saying..."

CHRISTINE
I can't do this now...

JEREMY
But I finally understand! You can't be with anyone right now because you don't know who you are yet, right?

CHRISTINE
Yeah, but

"Which is reasonable." Jenna says, smiling at Christine.

JEREMY
Well, I get that! And that's awesome, actually, because I felt that way too! I mean, I didn't realize that's what I felt, I thought it was just about being cool. But it was more than that. It was about being confident, and understanding who I am... And I couldn't have figured that on my own!

CHRISTINE
You're saying. I helped you do that?

JEREMY
Not you.

Jade snorted but quickly covered it up with a cough.

This.

(He opens his hand...and presents her with a Squip.)

Issie booes and gives On Screen Jeremy a thumbs down. Jeremy sighs, "Agreed."

It's from Japan-It's a computer, And it tells you what to do! You'd never have to struggle to figure out what to say, or overanalyze some little gesture, ever again. You'd just know. Like play rehearsal. Only it never has to end.

CHRISTINE
Jeremy, that sounds...horrible.

"Finally! Someone with a brain!" Chloe remarks.