ACT TWO | SCENE NINE

SCENE NINE

(Jeremy wakes up in a hospital bed. Next to him is RICH, in a full body cast.)

"Oh...It's the hospital..." Jeremy says. Rich sighs when he sees himself in the body cast, something he would rather forget.

JEREMY
Hello?

(He tries to get up.)

Ow. Ow ow ow ow ow.

RICH
(He now had an apparent lisp.) Feel like you're miththing a part of yourself, doethn't it?

"There's that lisp~" Jake whispered in his boyfriends ear, earning a blush from Rich, who always blushed when someone pointed out his lisp.

JEREMY
...Rich?

"Wath it really that hard to recognithe me?" He asks.

"A bit." Jeremy shrugs.

RICH
Hurtth like a motherfucker too. Be honetht: what are they thaying about me at thchool? (Beat.) That bad?

"Yeah, they written a whole song about it Rich."

JEREMY
Sorry, man...

RICH
Doesn't matter.. I'm finally free of that tiny happy hive mind! When I get outta here, the ladieth are gonna learn to love the real Richard Goranski. (an epiphany) And the dudes. Oh my god, I'm totally bi!

"So, how did you realize?" Jake smirks, looking at Rich. He shys away from his boyfriends gaze, not answering. Jake just chuckles and holds him tighter.

JEREMY
Your squip's gone? But how?

RICH
Athk your buddy. Anti-social headphone kid?

"I have a name, you know!" Michael huffs, crossing his arms. Jeremy chuckles.

He's been by like, a ton, by the way. What ith he, your boyfriend? No judgment. Just curious. Totally bi now.

"He is now~" Jeremy coos into Michael's ear, causing him to let out a little squeak. A blush danced across the Filipino's face.

(MICHAEL enters.)

MICHAEL
I'm sure some special someone will be thrilled to have you, Rich.

"Me!" Jake says with a wide smile.

RICH
You think?

(MICHAEL pulls the hospital curtain shut on RICH.)

"Thankth for that by the way..." Rich says sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

JEREMY
What happened? All I remember is that noise, and...

MICHAEL
Oh man, it was amazing! They were communicating with each other, they were linked! Which means... when you consider the kind of high-frequency sonic disturbance needed to wipe a system that powerful...

"Jeez, you are in a hospital! Don't be so loud!" Christine remarks, glancing at Michael.

JEREMY
Michael, Michael, Michael... My head still hurts.

MICHAEL
Right, ah... Turns out you didn't have to destroy every Squip. Just one. And the rest... (He mimes explosions) Boom boom boom.