ACT TWO | SCENE SIX

SCENE SIX

(JEREMY gets a text on his phone.)

JEREMY
Oh my god. They're saying Rich is in the hospital. And Jake broke both his legs trying to escape the fire. This is terrible. How could Rich's squip let him do it?

"It didn't want me to... I wanted it more than my thquip did..." Rich sighs, trying not to cry for the hundredth time that night.

"I was rescuing Rich aswell..."

THE SQUIP
Rich was under a lot of pressure at home. With his squip disabled due to the alcohol, it seems he lacked the proper...coping mechanism.

"The thquip wath not a 'coping mechanithm'." Rich argues, glaring at the screen.

JEREMY
Did you know? (Beat.) You made me leave the party

THE SQUIP
I was aware of certain...probabilities.

JEREMY
Did you know people were going to get hurt?

SQUIP
I'm getting the impression you don't trust me, Jeremy.

"Oh, was it that obvious?" Jade says, rolling their eyes.

JEREMY
Why me?

THE SQUIP
I don't understand the question.

JEREMY
You could be inside world leaders, presidents. Famous people! What are you doing in me? What do you want?

THE SQUIP
I promise you, my sole function is to improve your life.

JEREMY
Well, awesome job! My best friend thinks I'm a jerk. I really hurt Brooke. And Christine - you were supposed to make her like me!

Michael smiled at the fact that Jeremy still considered him his best friend even after everything that had happened.

THE SQUIP
And I will. In time. She is only human. I must account for human error.

JEREMY
You were supposed to make everything better. So why isn't it?

THE SQUIP
Look at yourself. You dress better, you are 93% more attractive,

"He was attractive to begin with!" Michael shouts at the screen.

you have had more experience with the opposite sex. Which is to say: you've had experience with the opposite sex.

"And now he's got experience with the same sex." Chloe says, smirking at both of the boys blush.

But human activity is matter of input as well as output.

JEREMY
What does that mean?

THE SQUIP
The fault... is in your peers.

"Not really, the fault was that I just didn't like you like that, and it was trying to force it!" Christine protests, crossing their arms.

"The Pitiful Children"

THE SQUIP
YOU WERE ALWAYS QUITE THE LOSER, JEREMY

"Rude." Someone scoffs.

THEN I INVADED
AND YOU UPGRADED
OH JEREMY
IT'S TRUE THAT I FOUND YOU
BUT LOOK AROUND YOU
WHOA-OH
ALL YOUR PEERS ARE ALL SO INCOMPLETE
YOU CAN'T SEE IT BUT THEY'RE ALL IN PAIN
THEIR OPERATING SYSTEMS OBSOLETE
SO LET'S COMPLETE THE CHAINS