Coffee

Rose stared at herself in the mirror, observing her new outfit. She wore a dark brown vest that went over a plain white undershirt, and brown pants that went along with her new black boots. A satchel hung over her shoulder (though she had that for a while).

    Rae did such an amazing job. Rose didn’t understand how she did it. Sewing was a pain.

    Rose packed some food into her pack and grabbed a small canteen of water. She grabbed her bow and quiver, too-- just in case. But as she passed by her dresser, something caught her eye. Hair ties. She glanced around a few times before stashing them in her pack as well. You never knew if you might need them.

    Rose had explained everything to Elisha last night. She offered to have her mother come, but she said that she was getting too old-- that last battle took a lot out of her. Instead, she said good luck to her daughter and bid her farewell as she made her way to Varian’s-- that’s where they were all meeting.

    Rae was already there, in her new outfit as well. She had a light pink, long dress that had a turtleneck collar. A light brown belt was wrapped around her middle, and she wore black flats.

    But Varian wasn’t anywhere to be seen. Rose raised an eyebrow at Rae, and opened her mouth, only for Rae to interrupt her.

    “Varian was still sleeping when I got here. He’s getting dressed.”

    Rose couldn’t help but smile. “How’d you know that’s what I was going to ask?”

    “I know you too well.”

    A door suddenly creaked open, and the girls looked up to see Varian walking out of his room, adjusting his belt.

    His outfit consisted of a blue vest that went over a cream undershirt, and he also wore dark blue pants and brown boots. He had two belts-- one that consisted of pockets, while the other held alchemy orbs. Instead of his regular gloves, he wore short black ones. His usual goggles sat atop his head.

    “Oh, hey Rose,” Varian greeted. “You look nice.”

    “Hey Varian. You too.”

    “Still waiting on Kenny?” Varian asked Rae.

    Rae shrugged. “What can I say? He needs his full eight hours of sleep, or he’ll be cranky.”

    “You mean even crankier than usual,” Rose laughed.

    They waited there for about twenty more minutes before Kenny walked into the house, yawning. It was halfway through nine-- how could he still be tired?

    Kenny also wore his new outfit. A red shirt with gold lining, with a pale yellow scarf wrapped around his neck. Tall brown boots went over his tan pants, and a small pouch was clipped to his leg.

    “Well, is everyone ready?” Varian asked, clapping his hands together.

    “Yup.”

    “Yeah.”

    “Sure.”

    Varian grabbed a satchel that was hanging on a table, then slung it over his shoulder. “Alright! Let’s go!”

    It didn’t take long to leave Old Corona; it wasn’t the biggest village. But the next kingdom was miles and miles away. They’d have to find a small village to stay in, otherwise they’d be walking all day and night.

    They walked for hours on end, with just a few breaks in between. Before they knew it, the sun was starting to set. They had to find a place to stay.

    But the nearby village had no pubs to stay in. Rose was starting to miss the Snuggly Duckling. 

    There were no other villages around, though. So they had to make do with an abandoned shed. Together, they all ate some of their food, then got some rest.

. . . 

    When Rose woke up, she found that Rae was already awake. She looked as if she hardly had gotten any sleep. Rose got up and sat next to her.

    “Didn’t get any good sleep?” Rose asked in a hushed voice, listening to the gentle snoring of the two boys.

    Rae shook her head, hardly blinking. “This isn’t the most comfortable place to sleep in.” She gave a small laugh.

    “Want to go get some coffee?” Rose offered.

    “Alright,” Rae said, standing up. Together, the two girls found a small cafe in the shop, and ordered some coffee. They talked a bit and laughed.

    Not too long after, Varian and Kenny had found them-- Kenny still rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. 

    Varian ran up to Rose and gave her a hug from behind. “Don’t even scare me like that again. I woke up to find you gone.”

    Rose was going to tell him to stop worrying, but remembered that she’d been kidnapped before, and it could happen again. Varian had every right to worry about her.

    “I’m sorry. Rae and I just wanted to go get some coffee,” Rose explained.

    “Okay. But next time, wake me up, too?” 

    “Alright,” Rose said with a small smile. The boys joined them at their little table.

    “So, Varian,” Rae started to say, causing everyone to look at her. “Not to be rude or anything, but how do you know when you’ve found your mother? Didn’t she leave when you were like four?”

    Varian didn’t seem offended at all. “Easy. I have a family portrait in my house to know what she looks like. And plus, I know her name.”

    “What is it?” Rose inquired.

    “Ulla.”

    There was a slight creak from a chair behind Rose as someone leaned back. A voice was spoken in her ear. “Did someone say, ‘Ulla’?”

For a visual on their outfits, check out "New Outfits!" in my Drawing Book.