22. volume [bethany]

"I'm so excited," I tell Derek as we wait in line. Derek let it slip that part of him wanted to take me to an 18-and-over club in LA, and after that, I basically begged him to go.

He laughs. "I know you are." He wraps his arms around my waist from behind. Leaning his head on my shoulder, he whisper-yells in my ear. "I'm excited to dance with ya."

I giggle, interlocking my fingers with his. "We dance together all the time," I joke, loud enough so he can hear me over all the commotion. We can hear a loud beat coming from inside, and outside, the sounds of cars zooming by on the nearby road and the chatter of people talking around us makes it slightly difficult to hear.

"Yeah but... not like this," Derek points out, and I turn slightly to glance at him and see he has a huge smirk on his face. I blush slightly, thinking about it. My heart races, anticipating Derek and me moving to the beat with our bodies pressed together.

We get to the front of the line and the man looks at us skeptically for a second. "You're from Dancing With the Stars, aren't you?"

I smile slightly as Derek answers. "Yeah, we are."

The man smiles. "My wife and daughters love the show, and I've watched it a few times myself." He points to us. "You two are good. I'm rooting for you," he says, with a smile, as he marks the back of our hands before we enter.

"Thanks so much," Derek says, grinning.

"Yeah, thank you!" I add as the man winks at us.

"No problem. You two have fun."

We mutter a thank you once again before stepping around him and walking into the building.

The music is blasting, and different colored lights are flashing around the giant room. I glance at Derek, who is grinning. His hand moves from my lower back, where it had acted as a guide, leading me into the building, to my hand. He interlocks our fingers and gives me a small smile and a raise of his eyebrows. "You ready?"

I nod, squeezing his hand. "Hell yeah I am."

Derek laughs slightly before dragging me towards the dance floor.

Some song with a heavy beat plays as Derek lifts my arms to his shoulders.  With a small grin, he pulls me closer so our bodies are touching, and I feel my cheeks flush as he begins to sway his hips from side to side to the beat of the music.

I look up at him with wide eyes as his hands slide down the sides of my waist. He laughs slightly as I bite my lip.  My mind spins as we dance in a way that I've never experienced.  So much adrenaline is rushing through my veins and the sexual tension between me and Derek is unreal.  I want so badly to act on this build-up of emotion that is causing my heart to race, but I don't want to be one of those gross couples who really should get a room, but instead are presenting public displays of affection for everyone to see.  My nose scrunches slightly as I glance over Derek's shoulder and see a couple going way too far on the dance floor.  Suddenly I feel Derek's finger underneath my chin, and before I know it, he is turning my face up towards his.

Derek looks me in the eyes, gives me a shy smile, and then winks and pulls me into him, placing a gentle kiss on my lips. He pulls away, and my heart beats faster than it was pre-kiss a few seconds ago.  He leans in and whisper-yells in my ear. "You good?"

He looks at me for a response. I nod, with a smile. I step up on my tip-toes momentarily to speak in his ear.

"I'm perfect."

When I pull away, I see Derek is grinning, and suddenly all the worry of being too showy in public escapes my mind. Our gazes lock for a minute, and without any further thought, I let my instincts take over and crash my lips against Derek's.