6. feelings [derek]

A sigh of satisfaction and pure bliss escapes my mouth a second after our lips meet again. I still find it hard to believe that the past few days actually happened.

I kiss Beth and my thumb brushes her cheek. Her tiny body seems to relax as she lets out a sigh.

I get lost in the kiss and find my hand traveling to her back, beginning to unzip her dress, before I remember Val and Janel. Damnit.

I decide to play it off and make it clever, because hey... I am clever. (Or 'incredibly awkward' would perhaps be more accurate..)

I pull down the zipper of her dress and feel her body tense up. Before she freaks out, I pull away from the kiss and speak.

"Better get that dress off.."

Her eyes are wide. What am I doing to this poor girl.

"You gotta hurry up and get changed for our celebratory dinner with Janel and Val," I say, standing up from the couch. "I gave you a head start, but really, get out of that thing and into something dinner-worthy asap because I'm sure they're waiting for us."

She looks at me, confused for a second, and I want to die. I literally just made everything so uncomfortable. Good going, Derek!

Then she smirks and shakes her head. "You're crazy..." She lifts her dress sleeve that had fallen off her shoulder.

I bite my lip. "Yeah, well, tell me something I don't know."

She laughs and then looks around the room, finally letting her eyes land on a black romper that I remember she wore to the season premiere event. I silently hope she decides to wear it again.

"Um..." I hear her say, snapping me out of my daydreaming. "Are you gonna leave so I can change?" She asks, scrunching her eyebrows, with a small smile.

I laugh and shove my hands in my pockets. "Yeah, I should probably do that, shouldn't I?"

Beth giggles. "Maybe..."

"Alright, well I will be waiting outside for you," I say, trying to hide my smile. She's adorable.

"Sounds good," she mutters. I nod in her direction and leave her dressing room, closing the door behind me.

She emerges a few minutes later, wearing the black romper, and I feel a smile grow across my face as I take her and her innocent beauty in.

"Wow," I say, without realizing.

She blushes slightly and giggles. "Oh, stop."

I look down at the ground and stick my hands in my pockets, rocking back and forth on the balls of my feet. I can't stop smiling, and I don't know why, but at the same time I do have a pretty good clue.

I look up at Bethany and let out a shy laugh.

"What? Why are you all smiley?" She asks, trying not to smile herself.

I shrug. "I'm happy."

Beth's face lights up with that adorable full-smile that could illuminate a room. "Well I'm glad."

I nod. "Me too." A moment of silence hangs in the air until I remind her that Val and Janel are waiting. They got a perfect score tonight as well and Val and I thought it would be nice to take our lovely partners out for dinner to celebrate.

Beth and I walk to my car. Val and Janel are waiting for us, and as soon as the girls see each other, they hug and squeal once again, congratulating each other on their perfect scores. Val and I stand and roll our eyes, but can't help but grin at how adorable they both are.
I volunteered to drive us all to the restaurant, so we all pile in my car and head off.