Did I Mention

"All right, it says that we still need one tear and I never cry", Mal said as she read the spell from the book. I was mixing the cookies while Mal read me the spelled recipe. Carlos shrugged and grabbed an onion, "Why don't we just chop up some onions", he suggested. Mal shook her head, "No. It says that we need one tear of human sadness and this love potion gets the best reviews, so we have to follow it exactly", she told us. Jay rolled his eyes, "A tear's a tear", he said. Evie looked at him, "That's not true, Jay. Both have antibodies and enzymes, but an emotional tear has more protein-based hormones than a reflex tear", she told us, grabbing some more sugar.

I laughed a little while I added some more to the mixture, "Look at you, E. I knew you were more than just a pretty face", I joked and she smiled at me. Just then, the door to the kitchen burst open and Lonnie came in, "There you are, Mal. I was looking for you", she said as Mal quickly hid her spell book, "You know, all the girls want you to do their hair". She looked down at the bowl I was mixing, "Midnight snack, huh? Whatcha guys making?", she asked. I shrugged, "Nothing special. Just cookies", I said but then saw her dip her finger in the mix for a taste, "No, No, No!", we all yelled. She looked at us confused by why were freaking out, "What? I won't double dip", she said.

I looked at her nervously, "Feel anything?", I asked her. "Yeah, like maybe it might be missing something?", Mal asked. Jay stepped forward with a smirk, "Hey there", he said, obviously trying to hit on her. She looked at him for a second before looking back at me, "Could use some chips", she said and walked over to the fridge, clearly not under a love spell. I sighed in releif that we didn't spell the wrong person, "And those are?", I asked. She pulled out a small bowl filled with little pieces of chocolate, "Just the most important food group".

She grabbed a handful and dumped them into my mix, "Wait, didn't your moms ever make you guys, like chocolate chip cookies?", she asked and we looked at her confused, not knowing why a parent would do that, "Like when you're feeling sad, and they're fresh from the oven, with a big ol' glass of milk and she just makes you laugh and puts everything into perspective and...", she stopped when she saw the looks on our faces.

Jay and I's mom's weren't around after we were born and well, the other three moms, they aren't the cookies and milk type. She looked at us confused, "Why are you all looking at me like that?", she asked. I shook my head, "It's just different where we're from", I said as I remembered everything I had to do on the Isle. She shrugged, "Yeah, I know. I just, you know, thought...Even villains love their kids", she said. Yeah, I was less of a daughter and more of a servant to my father and brother. My father's views on women's roles in the household haven't changed that much.

She looked at us sadly as she started to realize what we were feeling, "Oh, that's just awful", she said and placed her hand on mine for comfort. I looked up at her to see that a single tear had fallen down her cheek. I caught it and tossed it into the bowl, "Yeah, real bummer, but we gotta get these in the oven, so thank you so much for coming by. See you tomorrow", Mal rambled as she ushered the confused Lonnie out of the kitchen. As soon as she was gone, I looked at my friends, "Alright. Boys, cookie sheet. Girls, oven", I said as I grabbed the cookie batter.

Look out BennyBoo

_____________________