Chapter 33

PREVIOUSLY: Her heartbeat slowed down a little as he turned, stretching his arms out to ask for a hug. Ellody walked into his arms, feeling safe and comfy in his grip.

"I feel good about this. About us," Jonah sighed, kissing Ellody's knuckles. Ellody smiled and snuggled closer into his side. They were sitting on her bed in the dark after Sienna had another argument with their dad and rode her bike to Jade's, since her dad banned her from driving.

"Me too," Ellody agreed. She wondered if he thought they were going to do anything tonight that involved more than just kissing, and she hoped not. She wasn't ready. Especially not with her parents in the house.

"Um... is the door locked? I just don't want your mum to force me to leave early," Jonah said. Ellody got up and pressed the button on the doorknob that locked it as quietly as possible.

"It is now," she said quietly, gulping. If I say no, he's not going to make me do anything. He's Jonah. Stay calm, Ellody. It's Jonah, you're OK.

"Are you alright? You seem... on edge," he frowned, making himself comfortable in Ellody's bed.

"Oh, I just... I, um..." she mumbled, staring at the floor.

"Do you want me to sleep on the trundle? I'll sleep on the trundle. Sorry, I just thought... no, never mind," Jonah stuttered, starting to climb out of bed.

"No, wait," Ellody said suddenly. Jonah hesitated as she stepped on the trundle and climbed into bed next to him. "Can we... cuddle? And nothing more?" she asked quietly. Jonah shifted a little to make more room for her before pulling the blankets over them both.

"Of course," he whispered. Ellody smiled, rolling over to face him. He reached up to pull his shirt off before pulling Ellody into his chest and becoming still. This is going to be the best night's sleep I'll ever have, she thought as she closed her eyes.

~

Zach grabbed Ellody's hand, kissing her passionately before pushing her away...

A text popped up on her phone from Zach, asking where Jonah was...

Jonah was seconds away from falling into a volcano, but Zach was lying in a lake face-down and needed to be saved...

Who do I save?

Who do I love more?

I can't decide...

Suddenly, Zach rolled over and appeared at her side and took her hand, pulling her into a blue room, but Jonah appeared on her other side and pulled her in the other direction. They were both pulling her in each direction, trying to win her over, but she was stuck in the middle...

~

"Ellody? Are you alright?" Jonah whispered. Ellody blinked slowly, gazing into the darkness to find Jonah's face. They were pressed against each other, Jonah's hand draped across her waist.

"Yeah, I just had... a bad dream," she whispered, trying to remember what had happened. She had been forced to choose between Jonah and Zach, but she couldn't remember much. Remembering dreams was like holding sand - it kept slipping between her fingers.

"What was it about?" Jonah asked, his vice husky from sleeping. Ellody wondered how his singing voice sounded if he'd only just woken up.

"I can't remember," she sighed. Jonah pulled Ellody's body closer to his, and her cheek was warmed on his chest.

"Your face is cold," he laughed. Ellody giggled, finding his hand and slipping her fingers through his. She drifted back to sleep, Jonah stroking her hair.