Distracted

NOTE:  This chapter contains excerpts from a book that is not mine. I do not own the words or the characters. The book is titled Sweet Persuasion by Maya Banks

"Holy shit," Julie breathed. "Now that's what I call a shocker."

"I'm not sure I like where you're going with this," Serena said in a dry voice.

"I get the fantasy bits, but Serena, a sex slave?" Julie asked in disbelief.

"Shhh!" Serena hissed. "For Pete's sake, I'd rather the entire Houston area not know about this."

"You're really going to do it?" Julie asked in a lower tone.

Serena paused for a minute and turned to her friend. "Yeah, I think I am."

"Wow. You've got balls, girlfriend. My hat is totally off to you. I'm such a chicken shit.

I can't even work up the nerve to ask Nathan out, and here you are taking on your darkest fantasies."

That was the last scene Uraraka had read.

7 days ago.

She hadn't had time to even think about picking up her book to continue reading. The past week was nothing be chaos, Uraraka could hardly remember what it meant to relax. Her brain was bursting at the seam at the sheer amount of information being drilled into it. She spent most evenings studying with her friends in the comfort of the common room. She was lucky if she even made it to her room and onto her bed to sleep. Most of the time she ended up knocking out on the couch along with the rest of the late-night study crew.

 Most of the time she ended up knocking out on the couch along with the rest of the late-night study crew

Uraraka huffed as her lungs struggled to take in oxygen.

Today's P.E. class was a free-for-all type deal. They were instructed to work on improving their physicality sans quirks and she was currently preoccupied with attempting to set a personal record on her mile time. She was running next to Todoroki. A true testament to her current state of mind that she was able to ask Todoroki to motivate her by running behind her, sort of as if he was chasing her, so she could push herself and not fall behind. She considered him a friend but they hadn't really spent one-on-one time before. To be frank, he kind of intimidated her. Not in a bad way, but definitely enough to avoid training with him.

The usually poised boy had exhibited a slight reaction, almost imperceptible, but Uraraka had noticed it. She was beginning to notice a lot about the boys in her class. That book was making her more perceptive to the opposite sex. She wouldn't call herself the most attractive girl in 1-A, let alone all of U.A., but she was pretty sure she wasn't ugly. She had to have some kind of appeal if even the most stoic boy in her class had flustered ever so slightly at her suggestion.

She could feel Todoroki start to slow down behind her. His feet were hitting the track in slower intervals.

"Todoroki please don't slow down on my account." She huffed, "If you pass me, you pass me. I'll catch up."