8.The Floating Beauty

Note: The language of this era is ancient Sanskrit. So all conversations will occur in Sanskrit but will be written in english. English words will be italicised whenever used to differentiate from Sanskrit.

Dwapara Yuga:
Today was not a normal day. Today all the women wake up early, go take a bath in the river Ganga and pray to god Surya to mark the occasion of Sankrant in the month of magha(Hindu calender).
In one such home in the city of Hastinapur in the kuru kingdom, Shantidevi and her daughter Lata were gathering up stuff to go take a bath at the river.
Shantidevi- "Oh Lata Maharani!(Queen) Should I call the River to you or will you do me the honour of waking up and walking to the Ganga?"

Lata wakes up hurriedly. -"offo maa! Must you always shout?" I can take a bath with the girls my age later. You should go alone."

Shantidevi- "Oh my Vishnu! What yug i have been born into? An old woman has to carry so much stuff on her head to the river only because her daughter wants to sleep. If only god had made me a man i would not have to worry about straining my back."
Lata- "Always with the dramas maa. okay i am getting up."
They both walk to the river. Very few women were present at such an early hour.
Lata- "See maa! nobody is up at this ungodly hour."
Shantidevi- "Atleast now we can take a bath in peace."
They both keep their clothes to wear later on the shore and enter the river. As they move a little deeper in the ganges Lata suddenly notices a white cloth floting on the surface coming towards them. curious, she moves towards the cloth. She manages to get a hold of it and pulls the cloth towards her.But in the process lata suddenly trips over the cloth over something beneath it. she steadies herself and pushes the cloth away to reveal the structure beneath it.
Lata suddenly screams- "Maa! Maa! Come here fast!"
Shantidevi- "Are what happened why are you shouting?"
Shantidevi comes towards Lata and gasps- "Oh my Vishnu! This is a human body."
Recovering herself she says- "Lata quick pull her towards the shore!"

At the shore:Lata and Shantidevi pull the body towards the shore and check for a pulse

At the shore:
Lata and Shantidevi pull the body towards the shore and check for a pulse.
Lata- "She is alive maa! But she is not waking up."
Shantidevi- "Being found in the Ganges on the day of sankrant is a good omen my child. we should take her home and see to her till she wakes up."
Lata- Okay maa! I will call some people for help.

At the house:
Shantidevi- "The vaidhji has tended to her. She has no serious injuries. She must wake up in a day or two. Lata beta you must look after her."
Lata- "Ji maa! But everybody in the village now knows about her. What to tell them maa?"
Shantidevi- "Only that she is resting."

1 day later:
Lata was tending to the girl found in the river when the girl gained consciousness.
The girl cried in pain.
Lata- "Devi, Drink some water." said Lata helping her drink water from a bowl.
The girl readily drank a few sips and again sank in the bed she was sleeping on.
Lata- "It is good that she is awake now. I must tell maa." Said Lata and went out of the room.

Author's Notes: Guess whose body it is in the Dwapara Yug??
Happy reading!! Do vote.