Down the Rabbit Hole - Ch. 2

(Reader) sat quietly as her father talked to the other wealthy family, that was going to be eating lunch with (Reader)'s family soon

(Reader) sat quietly as her father talked to the other wealthy family, that was going to be eating lunch with (Reader)'s family soon. (Reader) kept scanning the room over, and over again. She couldn't shake the feeling of  worry. "Pardon me for interrupting but, where is Oliver? I haven't seen him since breakfast." (Reader) asked. "He's out in the backyard, dear." (Reader)'s mother responded.

(Reader) nodded her head once, then took a deep breath. "Mother, Father? Might I join Oliver outside?" (Reader) said, as she looked back and forth between her parents. Elizabeth shook her head and said, "We have gues-"

"Yes, (Reader). You may." (Reader)'s father said, cutting off his wife. Elizabeth just stared at her husband, Charles, in shock. Elizabeth wasn't used to being cut off, or being disagreed with. Elizabeth sighed, coming to terms with had happened. "Oliver should have his wrist watch on him, be sure you two are back by twelve-thirty for lunch. And wash your hands before you enter the dinning room!" 

(Reader) smiled, and nodded her head. She stood up, giving a small curtsy, and headed twoards the back yard. Half way to the door, one of the butlers stopped (Reader). "Please, Miss (Reader). Allow me to get the door for you."

"Oh no, it's quite alright! I can get it-" (Reader) sighed. "Thank you." (Reader) smiled. She walked past him, as he closed the door behind her; once she was outside. 'Everyone here in this damn manor must think I'm helpless.' "I can open my own doors, for God's sake!"

"(Reader)?" Called out a soft voice. (Reader) turned her head to see who was calling her name. She saw a small, petite boy, with bright blonde hair and a bandage covering his left eye. "Oliver!" (Reader) walked over to the young boy. "What have I told you about covering your eye with that silly bandage?"

"I just thought, since we have guests over for lunch, that it'd be best to keep my left eye hidden."

"Why would think that? Everyone in this manor thinks that your eyes are lovely."

"But they're two different colors. My right eye is hazel, almost yellow, while my left eye is-"

"Is a beautiful ocean blue." (Reader) looked at Oliver, with sincerity in her eyes. "If we didn't like your heterochromia, you would be wearing an eye patch every day." (Reader) smiled, cupping the blonde's face. Oliver looked to the side to avoid (Reader)'s loving gaze. "Oliver, darling. You know I would never lie to you." (Reader)'s smile left her face, as she placed her hands onto the boys shoulders.

Oliver nodded his head, shifting his gaze back to (Reader). He knew all to well that his older sister was telling the truth. No matter how hard Oliver tried, he couldn't find a single memory of which he caught (Reader) in a lie. 

(Reader) may not lie to Oliver, but she would hide the truth from him. She was extremally skilled at hiding the truth from people, though she wouldn't lie, she would just neglect saying anything that would cause her to slip up.

Truth be told, (Reader) and Oliver looked nothing alike. He didn't anything like any of his family members. But it was to be expected, since he wasn't biologically related to the rest of the (Last Name) family. Oliver adopted the family name, when a ten year old (Reader) found a five year old boy sitting in their front yard.

The boy's hair was covered in dirt, dandruff, and was extremely oily. He was bone thin, and had his right foots big toe sticking out of his boot. His face was dirty and scuffed up, his legs had a few small bruises on them. He wore oversized navy blue shorts, and had a shirt that was barely tucked in. His jacket was a navy blue that matched his shorts. The only thing the boy could remember was that it was his birthday, and that his name was Oliver.

No one in the (Last Name) family had told Oliver the truth about his adoption. (Reader) couldn't particularly care if Oliver was adopted or not. He was her brother, and she loved him regardless. "Race you to the orange tree!" (Reader) giggled, as she started running twoards the orange tree the never produced oranges.

"Hey! No fair! I wasn't ready!" Oliver laughed, chasing after her. The two to stopped at the tree, their hands making a loud thump as they stopped them selves from crashing into it. Oliver and (Reader) sat down on the grass. "You know they're only having lunch with us, because they have hopes that you'll marry their son. Right?" Oliver asked, while trying to get the attention of a bird that landed next to him.

"Yeah, I know. But, you know what they say! Hope is for the weak. Because I'm not going to marry him."

"(Reader), you never want to marry any of the men you meet. Why is that?"

"Honestly, I don't really know. Most of the time, they're fairly good looking. But, I've just never found any of them...how do I say this? Sexually attractive?"

"(Reader)!" Oliver shouted, looking over at (Reader) in panic. "What? I didn't want to say that they wern't attractive. Most of them were fairly good looking. I just wasn't attracted to them." (Reader) looked over at Oliver.

His eyes were wide in shock. (I went to write shock, but I ended up typing out shook. Smh.) (Reader) chuckled at the sight of her brother. "Oli, you're twelve. You've already learned about sexual attraction, and reproduction."

"Still! You are my sister! I don't want to hear about weather-or-not you think a guy is sexually attractive!" Oliver huffed, as he crossed his arms over his chest. He leaned back, and rested his back and head on the trunk of the orange tree that never produced oranges.

(Reader) covered her mouth as she snickered at her brother's innocence. "You did ask why I didn't want to marry any of the guys I've met." (Reader) countinued giggling. "I know. But I wasn't expecting that kind of answer." Oliver responded, his face a bright shade of red. (Reader) turned her attention to the back of the monor her and Oliver lived in.

She leaned back, to join Oliver in resting on the tree trunk. But instead of hitting bark, she just kept leaning back. (Reader) kept leaning back until she ended up falling backwards. "OH MY GOD!" (Reader) screamed as she began falling down. "(Reader)? (Reader)! I'm going to get help!" Oliver yelled. But (Reader)'s screams were to loud for her to hear her brother. And she was to far down the seemingly endless rabbit hole, to even see Oliver anymore.