Chapter 31

Grace

One week has passed since I last saw Harry, and I have to say that a new Grace was born.

Knowing that the love of my life was alive made me want to continue fighting and help others in this hospital. I was determined to make it to the end with Harry.

Thankfully today I was going to see him again, as he was coming to pick up Ben who was going to be discharged today.

If we weren't in the middle of the war, Ben should remain here for at least another week, but we need the beds to soldiers who are struggling between life and death and thankfully Ben was no longer in danger.

Ben woke up right before Harry left a week ago and it was so nice to reunite with him. He couldn't believe it at first when he saw me standing by the bed next to Harry. His first thought was that he had died, and this was a dream.

Poor Ben, he has been through so much as well.

But during this last week, he was my main company, he had told me everything about what had happened in these past three years. The years they spent in Burma, how Harry became a Sargent, how devastated he was when he did not receive any letter back from me. It was interesting hearing Ben's point of view, because he got to see closely how Harry had felt over the years.

Harry was so heartbroken.

"How are you feeling today?" I smile at Ben who was already dressed in his uniform. The smile on his face told me he was very excited to finally leave this hospital.

The hospital in London might have felt like a hotel, but this here is hardly a very comfortable place to recover. Especially because there is no privacy as beds are too close to each other and the food was rather terrible, nothing like the delicious meals we had back in London. But it was better than nothing.

"As much as I love your company, I'm tired of hearing people screaming in pain." If I have to be honest, I don't think that even bothers me at this point. Spending three years helping badly wounded soldiers has taught me that I need to mute those screams and painful moans, otherwise I will not be able to help them. And I would go crazy.

"I understand you, I'm glad you are leaving as well, it means you are strong enough." I smile.

Even though Ben is almost the same age as me, I have this maternal instinct over him and I'm not sure why. If anyone hurts him, they will be hurting me as well, and I'm sure Harry feels the same way towards him.

"And have you managed to talk to Charlie?" His tone changes immediately but I shake my head.

Ever since Harry was here that it has been impossible to reach out for Charlie. He is always too busy to spare me a minute, or he is accompanied by someone else and I'm not able to properly speak to him. But today I have to talk to him, there are so many questions I need to ask.

"Not yet, but I know he finishes his shift in a few minutes, I will try to talk to him then." Ben nods.

"Well, I think he had something to do with it." Ben says. I had told him everything that had happened in the past three years as well.

How I never received any letter from Harry, then when I asked for Charlie's help and he showed me the paper that said Harry was dead, and how he had confessed that he loved me.

As much as I wanted to think Charlie wouldn't be capable of doing something so evil, his sudden need to avoid me is suspicious. But today I would confront him and hopefully find out the truth.

"Me too." I sigh. "Do you have any idea when Harry will be here?" I feel butterflies in my stomach just with the mention of Harry.

I'm so in love with him.