17. Elara's Liberation

~Logan~

I had just got off work and was sitting in my car checking my phone. Andrea blew my shit up. Thankfully, I had turned my phone off or who knows what would have happened if my shit was going off all crazy. I tried to call her back but she wouldn't answer. Whatever it was it couldn't be that important if she wasn't answering.

I still hadn't heard from Queen since she moved out. I'd stare at my phone just waiting to see her name flash across my screen. I even started to text her long heartfelt paragraphs, but in the end, I would delete them to give her some space. I knew she would talk to me when she was ready. I just needed her to be ready now.

I put my phone in my pocket and pulled out the parking lot and headed to my mom's house. Since we called CPS on Andrea I just been crashing at my mom's just in case anything was to happen. I wanted to be where I said I was living. I really had no reason to go back to my place at the moment, so I was chilling for real. It was about a twenty-minute drive from my job back to my mom's crib. I was jamming out in my own little world. I couldn't wait to get home and just chill. I was about ten minutes away from the house when my mom started to call me.

"Yo ma, I'm like ten minutes away from the house. What's up? You need me to stop at the store?" I asked as I rounded a corner.

"Just get back to the house as soon as possible."

"Why what's wrong?" It was hard to read the tone of my mom's voice but I could definitely tell there was something she wasn't telling me.

"Ok, I'll be there soon." I hung up and my mind went straight to Queen. I didn't know if I should be excited or worried. I was excited thinking that she might actually have come to my mom's to see me. But on the other hand, I couldn't help but to think if something was wrong. My mind raced as I got closer and closer to the house. I didn' know what to think or expect, so I prepared myself for the worst, whatever that may be.

When I pulled up to the house, there was a patrol car sitting outside of my mom's house. My mom was standing at the door talking to two officers, and a lady in a two-piece pantsuit. I threw the car in park and hopped out. If the cops were involved there was a strong chance this was about me being in the drug game. But I've been clean for months now, so they shouldn't even be here looking for me.

"What's going on here, mom? I asked standing behind the officers.

" Are you Mr. Logan Negasi, father of Elara Negasi?"

"I am, who's asking?"

"I'm Madeline Miller. I work for CPS. Earlier this morning, we had to extract Elara from the mother and the residence she was staying at. We don't enjoy taking kids away from their families but for the sake of their well being, we do what needs to be done. I saw in her paperwork that you were the father, under normal circumstances, she would have been taken to a foster home. But if she has a parent that can take care of her, well you see where I'm going with this."

I was speechless, out of all the scenarios I had thought about during my drive here, this was not one of them. I knew there was a chance of this day coming soon. It's not like I forgot about it or anything. I was just expecting a phone call as a heads up or something.

"Yeah I do, what is it that you need from me? I'm happy to have full custody of her. Andrea has been keeping her away from me when all I wanted to do was be a good father to her." I noticed that Madeline nor the police officers had Elara and I got a bit worried. "Where is my daughter?" I asked as I looked around.