20. CheckMate

~Queen~

It's been three days since Logan told me he was getting Elara. As much as I wanted to see her, I didn't want to see him. That and my job keeps calling me for overtime, so I never had the time to contact his mom to see if we could schedule something while Logan was at work. With today finally being my day off, I thought it would be as good as a time than any to call mama Negasi.

"Hello? Mama Negasi, it's Queen"

"Hey baby, oh my with everything that has happened it completely slipped my mind to call you." It sounded like she was crying, her voice was cracking.

"Is everything ok?"

"Logan was shot the other day and Elara was... she was kidnapped."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. My eyes started to water. Logan was shot. Elara was missing. What the fuck is going on? Mama Negasi told me the hospital Logan was admitted to and I gathered my things and jumped straight into my car. My feelings were all over the place. I still loved Logan but I couldn't forgive him for cheating on me. Now knowing he could be dying in a hospital, I was so afraid of losing him.

I hopped in my car and headed towards Frankford Hospital. It was only eleven minutes away from the hotel I was staying at. Well, with how the traffic was at the moment it was eleven minutes away. As I was getting on I-76, I called Brielle. I didn't know who else to call. I just felt like she needed to know.

"What's up girl?"

"Logan's in the hospital. I'm on my way there now," I said as I honked my horn at some dickhead, who was trying to merge and almost hit me. I swear I really hated Philly drivers.

"The fuck you mean he in the hospital? What happened?"

"I don't know what happened. All I know is that he was shot and Elara is missing!"

"Bitch what! I'm on my way right now."

"Ight, he's at Frankford Hospital." I hung up with Brielle just as I was pulling up to the hospital. My heart was beating so fast, I thought it was gonna jump out of my chest. I parked the car and ran all the way to the entrance of the hospital. I walked over to the desk and focused on breathing before asking what room he was in.

"Ma'am, are you ok?" The lady behind the desk stood up looking concerned.

"Yes, I'm looking for my fiance. Logan Negasi, I was told he was admitted to this hospital."

The lady sat back down and typed some shit into the computer. After giving her his birthday, she let me know his room number. I couldn't get there fast enough. As I was getting on the elevator, all I could think about was the last face to face conversation we had.

"So you bringing her into our home was handling it?"

"What are you talking about? Queen, I never brought her here."

"Logan, do I look like a fucking idiot to you? I must have stupid written across my forehead right?"

I was wishing that I did so many things differently that night. I couldn't shake the feeling that him getting shot was my fault. There was no reasonable explanation I could think of that tied me to the shooting. Regardless, I couldn't help but feel like it was my fault.

The elevator doors opened and it felt like time stopped as I made my way to Logan's room. I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know if I should be preparing for the worst. I just kept telling myself he was ok and everything was gonna be ok. I was standing at the door, but couldn't bring myself to open it. It was like my body froze. I took a deep breath and I relaxed a little and was able to reach my hand out to the doorknob.