Free At Last

Warning: Violence and death

Ash's POV

I sit at under the dinner table. It's my only safe place before Luis gets home. I've been trapped here for three weeks, or a month.

It's always quiet here. The only thing I could do at first was scream, scream and pray for someone to hear. No one ever came. So now I just cry. I don't even know if Jackie deciphered my letters.

Maybe he did and I didn't give him enough descriptions for him to find me. But I'm just scared. I'm scared of everything. He hurts me and I'm scared.

Knock Knock Knock!!!

The irregular sound of knocking at the door breaks me from my thoughts. They're quick, like they're looking for someone.

"Help!! Please!!!" I yell, trying to get someone to hear me. I stand up and bang on the door, and anything I can do to escape. The knocking on the door quickly changes to banging, like someone's trying to knock down the door.

"Ash! Don't worry! Jack and da gang ah comin'!!" I hear the long lost voice of Spot yell from the other side of the door. After about five more minutes, he stops banging on the door. "It's too secure. But it won't be up for long, the boys will all come and break down the door with ease." There's silence. "Ash? Can I please hear your voice?"

"Help. He'll be back in an hour, and if I'm not out by then, he'll hurt me," I whimper out. I can hear him hit the door one last time, even though it doesn't do anything.

"I promise, once da boys show up, you'll be out in an instant. And Luis is gonna pay. You ain't gonna be huit anymore," he says. More silence.

"Did you get my ciphers?" I ask, knowing that it's a high probability.

"They was the numba one thing dat traced us to ya location. You'se real smart, y'know?" Spot says, which makes me laugh.

"You guys are the smart ones for decoding it, all I could do was pray that you guys could solve it. Every week I was worried that no one could decipher it, that I'd be trapped here forever. Luis... He's the devil. Every night he... I hate him," I cry out.

"I'se so sorry. I wish we found out sooner. I wish we could've made sure he couldn't hoit you. I wish I didn't hoit you too," he says. I slightly freeze up, remembering the whole reason I had left, it was to come see him. He was sorry, and I was going to make up with him. But then everything went wrong.

"I forgive you. A month ago, I left the lodging house to forgive you. I've missed you for about five months. I realized in all those months, that I can't live without you. I need you," I say, admitting how weak I am.

"Yeah, I haven't been able tah live again. I was fine before ya came. When ya came my heart needed yis around me... And when you was gone, I was broken. I would give you all of Brooklyn just tah keep you around," he says.

"You don't need to do that. All you have to do is love me," I say, feeling myself starting to cry again.

"I already do," he says. As soon as he finishes talking, I hear the screaming of boys. Dozens of boys. My boys.

They all begin running up to the door, pounding on it. I get back as far as I can to avoid being hurt. In a matter of minutes, I hear the door starting to crack and crumble.

"You guys are doing it!" I yell as encouragement, even though they probably can't hear me. They begin hitting the door harder, and more in sync.

About three minutes later, the door comes crashing down. I look out from my hiding spot and see Jackie. He looks more worried than I've ever seen him, which make me cry even more. I quickly jump up and run towards him, quickly embracing him in a hug.