| Chapter Twenty-Three | Getting Ready

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Don't let anyone dull your light."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Due to the Sky Army still holding refugees from Void City, it was hard to conceal that the Generals and Adam were leaving to go somewhere dangerous. Especially after the recruits saw the gear the Generals and commander only use when they know the battle ahead will be tough. It was armor that was made out of leather but was enchanted to be as hard as steel. It didn't break easily and it was light making it easy to move quickly.

Adam was waiting with his horse saddled and in his gear. His gear was simple, a shoulder guard, arm braces, fingerless gloves, a chest plate that covered the upper half of his torso, his sword attached to his belt, and knives hidden in his arm braces and boots. All they were waiting for was for Jerome, Mitch, Ian, and the recruits that were coming with them. Adam looked over at Ty, who is talking to Rosani. He could tell that whatever they were talking about, Rosani disagreed with Ty. He didn't need to know dragon tongue to know that they were arguing. Rosani only calmed down when Harvey went up beside her, touching her arm and starting talking to the two.

"Adam," a voice spoke making him flinch and look to his right seeing Statilia standing there.

Adam's eyes soften. "Hey, you coming as well?" he asked her. She nodded. Adam looked away from her. "Cool," he said. Neither one of them spoke, making it awkward quite quickly. Statilia walked up beside him, looking at his armor.

She smiled a bit. "You sure that is enough to protect you? Looks like weak armor to me," she said.

Adam's eyes looked at her. "Don't underestimate armor crafted by mages. The magic community gave us all specially crafted and enchanted armor as thanks for all we have done," Adam said. Statilia nodded a bit, looking at the armor, she lightly knocked her knuckles against the chestplate.

"Well, I can tell it was made using magic," she said. Adam's armor was dyed black to help with camouflage, all of the armor that they had received was dyed black and enchanted specially for the wearer. For example, Jason is the best hand-to-hand combatant in the Sky Army, so his armor is specially designed and enchanted for close hand-to-hand combat while Mitch, being an archer, has armor designed and enchanted for archers. Adam's armor is crafted specially for sword-craft and hand-to-hand combat making his armor light and durable, created to take heavy blows and absorb shock.

She looked at Adam, seeing that same look that she expected to receive from him, she lowered her hand to her side. "I know things haven't been the best between us. But I would really like it if we could put it in the past and just be friends," she said. Adam stared at her, wondering what happened to change her so much. He remembers Statilia being stuck up and stubborn-headed, she hates humans since they live short lives and hates Harvey because...well that's quite obvious after what happened to the kingdom.

Adam tilted his head a bit, confused. "What happened to you?" he asked her curiously.

She loses her smile. "A stern talking from Rosani and Tobias happened. They made some good points that I can't really argue against," she said.

Adam couldn't help but smile a bit at her. "Just friends...is that what you want?" he asked her. Statilia hesitated, her eyes looked away from him. Adam turned to her now. "Statilia, I'm alright with just being friends if that's what you really want. I can work at keeping my feelings in check when I'm around you, I just want to make sure that this is what you really want to happen between us. There was a lot said between us and...I just don't want you to regret anything," he said. Statilia's eyes looked at him and her eyes soften. 'What is it about him that made me change so much? I want to stay close to him and be in his arms...I said a lot of hurtful things to him, how can he just be so forgiving? How?' Statilia thought before a blush rose from her neck to her cheeks. Statilia shakes her head before she steps towards him and her arms wrap around his waist before putting her head against his chestplate.