Bully

"Romeo and Juliet!" Ms. Lion slams her hand on the chalkboard. She points her red fingernails at the two words written in English. "They are a legendary couple. Slaining themselves for each other." She starts to get into her role playing act.

Romeo and Juliet's love story is plain stupid. It's a hot mess of both of them committing suicide simply because they love each other. In all honesty, Shakespeare wrote some complicated plays that I personally don't like.

"Have you found your Romeo?" Ms. Lion points to a half-dressed cheerleader. The girl responds with a no and says there's no Romeo in high school, just horny boys looking for sex.

"Hmm. Have you found your Juliet?" Ms. Lion points to me. The classroom fills with laughter.

"I think you're asking the wrong student." Some jock laughs his head off at the thought of me having a Juliet.

I turn my lips up to a smile.

"Maybe I have," I shrug. "Who knows?"

The class uproars in laughter from my answer. Typical assholes being assholes.

"Excellent answer!" Ms. Lion snaps her fingers. "You never know when you've meet your Romeo or Juliet. They could be right in your face but you're oblivious of the thought."

"Even if you try to hide your feelings, you'll eventually let it out and you'll go on the marvelous journey that Romeo and Juliet went on."

Um, no ma'am. I couldn't even understand the play, the book, OR the movie. You expect me to have a journey that I don't understand? I think not.

"You've all had a crush right? Your assignment is to write about your Romeo or your Juliet. It doesn't have to be a realistic vision, but you must embrace the beauty of love like Shakespeare has."

"We writing a play?" a classmate asks.

"No way. Even better: a love letter."

We all groan. What is wrong with this woman?

The bell rings meaning class is dismissed.

"This is due by next Friday! Remember! Embrace William Shakespeare!"

"Are you my Juliet?"

"What the hell?" Jimin looks at me through the messy strands of his hair. His thin eyebrows knit together. "What are you talking about?"

"Are you my Juliet? Am I your Romeo? Would you die for me? Would I die for you? Gosh! This assignment is stupid." I grab a fistful of my hair.

"What is that for?" Jimin peers over my shoulder. "A love letter?"

"Yeah. For Ms. Li-I mean for literature."

"Sounds stupid. Why would you write a love letter?" Jimin flips through his history textbook.

"Romeo and Juliet nonsense." I twirl my pencil between my fingers. "Are you actually doing work?"

I observe the boy sitting beside me with a huge, 2000 paged textbook on his lap. We're currently sitting at his dining room table, attempting to do homework.

"Shut up. I can work."

"What's the catch? You never do your work willingly."

"Those bastards." Jimin begins to write down some notes.

Those bastards? I assume he's talking about his parents.

"What'd they say?" I ask.

"If I'm not passing my classes by the end of the year, they're sending me to a mental hospital." Jimin speaks as if it's something he's used to hearing.