XVI. Birds In Cages

Chapter Sixteen
Bucky

Bauer drops samples of my blood into different beakers, placing the rest of the samples under a microscope to analyze them. He looks utterly transfixed by my blood, like he's a child on Christmas looking at a shiny new toy.

"Your blood is magnificent," Bauer comments, his eyes glued to the microscope. "The serum in the other Winter Soldiers was certainly more enhanced, but you were more efficient. This blood, your serum, it's what made HYDRA what it was."

"That serum turned me into a monster, it caused the deaths of hundreds of people."

"Your blood is what made you a hero in HYDRA. It's what rose us from the ashes of the Second World War, and it will allow us to rise once again."

I don't even try to break from my chains, I don't try to free myself. I know that Bauer has me in his grasp right now and there's nothing I can do to stop him. I try to think of what Soroya would do in this situation. She would try to reason with Bauer, try to make him see reason.

"HYDRA had its time, it had its chance and it failed. I know what you're doing with my blood, I know what you're trying to do with Sam. I know you think that you're helping the world but you're not. What you're trying to do, it won't work."

"Of course it will work," Bauer says with a smile, leaning back in his chair and looking over towards the chair in chained to. "HYDRA never dies, HYDRA never stops. I've made this serum before and with your blood I will again. Once a new band of super soldiers are made, HYDRA can finally take its place on top."

"Your serum is flawed, your whole system is flawed. Over seventy years of brainwashing and experimenting didn't make me into the weapon you wanted me to be. These new super soldiers you're trying to create won't give you what you want. You can't erase the humanity from me or anyone else, you can't make us your pawns."

"You're right, Agent Barnes. Humanity is the weakness that has made HYDRA fail at fulfilling our destiny. But I assure you, that won't be the case for long."

"You'll be stopped," I tell him. "HYDRA will never gain power because there will always be good people who are willing to fight against you."

Bauer's smile grows more amused, making him push his swivel chair more towards me. "If you are referring to Agent Roberts, then I think you are mistaken. You love birds may think you have left HYDRA behind, that you are no longer our 'pawns' as you put it. But just like HYDRA never dies in the world, it never dies in you either. I can see it, the way you tense up, the fear in your eyes, the look of torment on your face...HYDRA has never left you. Zola, Karpov, Pierce, myself, we all haunt you everyday, just as we haunt Agent Roberts."

"She's stronger than both of us. HYDRA hasn't stopped her from fixing the world and trying to make it better. She'll figure out your plot and end HYDRA once and for all."

"I am aware of her strength, and we are working on a way to take care of her...but I find it interesting that you only said she is stronger than me, that she will fix the world, not you. I know why, it's because you know I'm right. You won't stop us because we broke you. If a bird's wings are broken, then it can't fly out of its cage. This is your cage, Agent Barnes, and you can do nothing but watch as the world burns."

I want to argue with him, but I find that no response comes to my mind. I know he's right; HYDRA has never left either of us. Lena and I were both birds with broken wings, but unlike me, Lena's wings have begun to heal. She's flown out of her cage, but I'm still trapped in mine. Khari told me that I need to accept my past and demons if I'm ever going to heal, but now I think I need to accept them if I'm going to stop HYDRA.