XXXV. The Arrangement

Twenty six hours later...

Chapter Thirty-Five
Alex

"I think I'm gonna kill you." Bucky says with a sigh.

"I don't think that would be wise, you just got freed from prison." I reply.

"You had to buy the biggest couch I've ever seen."

I give him a defensive look. "We have a lot of friends who, if you've forgotten, are huge super powered people. We need a big couch."

"Yes, but not so big a couch that we can't get it through the door."

It's about half way in and now we can't get it the rest of the way. Bucky is on the outside of my house on one side of the couch while I'm inside on the other. Khari is sitting on top of the kitchen counter with Soroya, eating left over pizza.

I look over to them and gesture to the couch. "You could help, you know."

Khari gives me an innocent look, his words coming out muffled due to his full mouth. "I'm injured, I can't help."

Soroya nods, her mouth full as well. "And I can't help because I'm giving emotional support to my brother in law."

"Oh yeah, you insist on helping to take down two criminals, but moving a couch is far too straining."

I hear a groan come from in front of me and turn long enough to see the couch shoot through the doorway, knocking me backwards. I fall onto the floor, looking up to see Bucky give us all a triumphant look.

"I got it in." He says with a grin.

I gesture to myself, still laying on the floor. "Yes, I see that. Can you help me up?"

Bucky grabs onto my hand and helps me onto my feet, giving me a sarcastically sad expression. "You poor thing."

I roll my eyes and shove his shoulder, making Bucky let out a chuckle. I make Bucky move the couch where the small loveseat used to be, and once it's in place, I lounge on it, turning on the tv.

The news is what pops up, and once I realize what's being broadcast, I sit myself up, trying to get the attention of the others. Thunderbolt Ross is on tv, giving a speech about the bravery, honor, and integrity of John Walker. He's introducing the US Agent to the world, going on and on about how important control and safety is, and how John will help to achieve that. He also gives full credit to John for capturing Bauer and Zemo, not mentioning our names at all.

Soroya stays in the kitchen, but Bucky and Khari come over to sit on the couch with me. There's anger and disappointment on all our faces, but none more so than Soroya. Bring around us changed John, I know it did, but he's lied to himself about what he wants and what he needs for so long that he refuses to think any different. I went through that when I met Khari. I knew that keeping him at bay would make me miserable, but I had told myself it would keep me safe for so long I ignored the obvious facts.

I know she saw the parallels between the two of us, I know she really believed in him. So did I.

Ross announces John and brings him out on stage. He's wearing his army uniform, his hair slicked back, and his expression blank. It's hard to tell what's going through his mind, but he certainly doesn't look like a man whose getting everything he's ever wanted.

In fact, he begins looking awkward as he approaches Ross, his eyes glancing in every direction to take in his surroundings, looking like a deer in headlights.

Even Ross notices it, but he tries to ignore it, holding the Medal of Honor and handing it to John. John stares at it for a moment, his throat bobbing as he swallows hard, shutting his eyes. John moves past Ross and towards the podium, beginning to address the people in the crowd as well as the people watching on tv.