XXXVII. Together

Chapter Thirty-Seven
Soroya

Our wedding reception is being held in the palace, in the same room Alex and Khari's was held. Tables are set up around the room, with space in the middle for dancing. There's a table with food, including a chocolate wedding cake and an assortment of pastas. Shuri has insisted on handling the music for the reception, and it isn't shocking to me that most of the music is upbeat and modern.

I understand, no one but Bucky and I like old music. As long as everyone else is happy, I'm happy. The only old song that has been played this evening was 'There Way You Look Tonight' by Fred Astaire, our wedding song. It was the song we danced to back in the forties on our date and the song we danced to the night he came back to life. It felt fitting.

I'm glad that we can even have a wedding in Wakanda. The UN's meddling has died down, only a few agents are still here poking around, mostly in Shuri's lab. The UN has backed off because Ross has named the UN delegate that is to stay in Wakanda full time and 'keep order and destroy chaos'. Ross chose Everett. This is mostly because of T'Challa's impeccable skills at persuasion. He had a long conversation with Ross about the benefits of having Everett be the overseer of Wakanda. Of course all of those benefits were a lie, T'Challa only said those things because Everett will allow Wakanda to continue on as it always has and keep other UN members from poking around. Everett is really happy with his new position, he can't wait to live here with us.

He is currently talking and drinking with T'Challa and Okoye, all three of them looking completely intoxicated. Shuri is behind the table with her laptop and speakers, dancing along to the song she's playing, which is some song I don't recognize but seems to be making everyone else happy. Nakia, Rhodey, and M'Baku are tearing up the dance floor, as are Scott, Hope, and Cassie. I got to meet her a little earlier, she's just like her father. Bruce as well as Bucky's great nieces and nephews are eating the food, which I haven't even had the chance to dive into yet. Makena and Lekan are dancing with Khari and Alex, who still dances like a deflating car dealer mascot. Ramonda has been keeping me company for some time now, just the two of us catching up. She's been gone for the past few months and I couldn't be happier that she's back. I may not have my parents here, but having Makena, Lekan, and Ramonda certainly makes that pain a little easier.

Bucky is talking with James, Richard, and Lucas, his nephews, and I guess mine now as well. I look around to find James's wife Rachel dancing bear Nakia with Lucas's wife Janelle, while Elizabeth is getting a couple more drinks. I do want to meet them, but right now I really want to meet my new nephews. I excuse myself from Ramonda and walk over towards them, wanting to finally meet the rest of the Barnes clan.

Bucky looks like he's enjoying their company, but he also looks quite sad. He's already told me that James looks just like Olivia, so I can only imagine that Richard and Lucas take after their mother Rebecca, Bucky's other sister. I slip my hand into his just to let him know that I am here for him and he seems to get the message, squeezing my hand back.

"So, what are we supposed to call you?" Richard asks, his tall stature and deep voice making him intimidating to most. I heard him mention he's a lawyer, I can certainly see him in that profession.

I had given this some thought, too. I'm around the same age as all three nephews. It's already strange that their uncle looks younger than them, so I think I should make things a bit easier for everyone.

"Just call me Soroya. I'm sorry we didn't get to meet at Olivia's funeral, but I'm glad you were able to make it today."

Lucas, who is a little shorter than his brother and far more handsome, replies with a smile much like Bucky's; "We were sad to have missed you. Jamie told us all about Uncle Bucky's shapeshifting girlfriend. It's cool to have an Avenger in this family."