XXIV. Brainwashed

Chapter Twenty-Four
Bucky

"Alright, seventeenth times a charm." Bauer mumbles to himself, staring at a test tube of my blood.

Sam shakes his head, his voice coming out breathy and weak. "You're insane."

Bauer smiles his way. "I thank you for that compliment, Mr. Wilson."

It's been like this for days. Bauer takes blood samples, he experiments with them, he injects the serum into San and Sharon. I've been sitting in this chair for hours, maybe days, I'm not sure. I'm so tired I can't even remember the last time I was in my cell. From the blood being taken from me and sitting in this damn chair for so long, I feel like I'll pass out any moment.

Sam and Sharon are in pretty much the same boat. They have so much chemicals in them from all the serum tests that Bauer keeps flushing saline through their blood stream at a fast rate. It's very painful for them, but not as painful as the serums that keep failing to brainwash them. Watching them get injected reminds me of the other winter soldiers in Siberia. I remember watching them wither in pain from the super soldier serum, hearing their screams of agony as their body was forced to change at such a fast rate. I don't think I could handle watching the same thing happen to Sam and Sharon.

Bauer puts this batch of serum into a needle and walks over towards Sam. In the beginning, when Bauer first started his experiments, Sam and Sharon fought him tooth and nail, but now Sam just winces slightly as the needle is inserted into him.

Bauer stares at Sam and waits for something I'm not sure of. Sam's expression turns from tired and pained one moment, to calm and indifferent the next. I lean forward in my chair, trying to focus my eyes and concentrate on Sam more. His eyes look blank, lifeless. I feel my stomach drop, my head beginning to shake as Bauer lets out a laugh.

"Mr. Wilson?"

"Yes." Sam replies, not an ounce of life in his voice.

"Ready to comply?"

"Ready to comply."

Bauer jumps up and claps his hands together like a child, prancing around his work counter and staring at his creation. With one hand he picks up the vile of the serum and with the other he gestures to one of his lackey's standing by the door. "Zemo has been gone too long and there's no time to waste. Begin packing everything up, leave nothing behind," He says, looking over his shoulder towards Sam and Sharon. "Mr. Wilson and Ms. Carter are going on a little trip with me."

"What of this one?" The guard asks Bauer, gesturing to me.

"Zemo already shot the other assets, I won't let this one go to waste. Bring him to Siberia with everything else."

"Aren't you curious why Zemo hasn't returned yet?" I ask him as he goes over to Sharon and injects her too.

Bauer shrugs his shoulder, smiling at Sharon as her expression becomes as blank as Sam's. "Whether your little shapeshifter has gotten to him or not is of little consequence. I have everything I need."

"I'll stop you. You won't get away with this." I say, trying to push against my chains the best I can, but having no luck.

Bauer walks over to me and smiles, gripping my chin between his thumb and forefinger. "I already have, Agent Barnes."

-