XXIII. The Remington Cabin

Chapter Twenty-Three
Soroya

T'Challa and Okoye distracted them UN agents long enough for Khari to steal the ship. Shuri was kind enough to give Khari some stunning tech to help us capture Zemo. She also made up an alibi for Khari's absence. Khari described it as 'random gibberish about the mystical snow of Hanuman'. Usually the ignorance of the UN agents in regards to Wakanda is annoying, but right now it's working in our favor.

I was right that I didn't get very far from the cabin when I was crawling to safety a few weeks ago. The coordinates in the ship log brought us to half a mile away from the cabin. We parked the ship a few yards from the cabin and put the cloaking on, so it's invisible to Zemo when he arrives.

In order to capture him, we have put two of the beads of our Kimoyo Beads in the tree trunks closest to the cabin. When Zemo passes by them, we will get an alert. Once we get the alert, Alex and I will shift down to mice and stay by the door. Khari, Walker, and Everett will stay in the lab below the cabin and wait for us to call for them. After Zemo enters the cabin, we'll shift back into our human forms and use the stunning tech to knock Zemo out.

Right now, Alex and I are standing outside of the cabin, making sure the Kimoyo Beads are transmitting correctly. While Alex inspects one of the beads, he lets out a chuckle, gesturing to the tree.

"Are they still trying to get you?" Alex asks.

I give him a glare. "I'm glad that you get a kick out of my hallucinations from the drugs used to torture me."

Alex doesn't look guilty. "The situation wasn't funny, but come on, you thought that these trees were straight out of Harry Potter."

I roll my eyes and gesture back to the cabin. "Come on, lets go see the others."

The cabin looks different from what I remember last time, but that's to be expected. I was filled with so much drugs that I'm surprised I remember it at all. It's a lot bigger than I thought it was, about the size of Steve's house in Brooklyn. The cabin is painted dark red, almost brown. It has cracked windows, holes in the roof, and stairs leading up to the house that are practically falling apart. I remember slicing my leg as I fell down them a few weeks ago. In fact, I think me falling down then is what broke them in the first place.

Inside the cabin is just as bad as the outside. The couch and table is covered with dust and leaves, the floor is stretched up with claw marks, some small and some large, and the pantry and kitchen have been raided by woodland animals over the years. I don't remember seeing any of this last time I was here, but what I do remember is the door leading down the stairs to the lab. I remember thinking the stairs were monster teeth trying to eat me.

As Alex and I make our way down the stairs and into the lab, I see Everett and Walker examining different test tubes and formulas while Khari stares at the metal table near the lab equipment.

I feel myself grow stiff as I see the table, feeling my hands grow clammy and my breaths grow shallower. Alex slips his hand into mine as he stares at the table as well, his jaw clenched and anger seeping from his gaze.

When Khari sees us enter the lab, he glances up to us, his eyes filled with the same anger Alex has. I squeeze Alex's hand before letting it go, walking towards the table slowly despite my legs wanting to stay in place. I rest my hand on the cold metal, my eyes falling onto the cuffs hanging off the sides, then to the faint lines of the cuff marks still in my skin.

Khari reaches forward and gently grasps my wrist, giving me a soft but firm look. "You don't have to be down here if it makes you uncomfortable."

I shake my head. "I'll be fine, I promise."