❤️ | jinho cafe

for jo jinho,
we love you so much .
i love you . :( it hurts to type

8:02 am

As dawn trickles into a bustling morningtime, four familiar customers travel into my coffee shop. Hwitaek, Changgu, Yanan, Wooseok, I recite in my head as each boy enters through the front door. They all see me and smile big, already greeting me with "hyung!"s and "hello"s as they gather in at the cashier spot.

I've known them for a while, even before they had Yanan. They're creating a music company—that's what Hwitaek was explaining to me that first time we met. Yanan moved here from China and the other boys are taking care of him--and each other, for that matter--as they figure out plans for their future. They'd often come here in the mornings to fetch coffees or pastries or what not but lately they've come to catch up with me.

"Four lattes please," Hwitaek says, "thank you Hyung! We have a business meeting today so we can't stay too long." He talks fast, in a way you can tell he's a busy and frenzied person. What surprises me is how quickly he talks when he's got a million other things placed upon his narrow shoulders; it's like sprinting with dumbbells. How does he handle all this heaviness?

Hwitaek, Yanan, and Wooseok go back to wait at the entrance and Changgu stays to watch me make the drinks. I glance at Yanan, who's smiling with the other boys. "How is he doing?" I ask.

"Ah, Yanan?" Changgu replies, beaming, "Yanan is well! He speaks fluently nowadays!"

"That's great, I know he was homesick a while ago," I say as I place all their beverages into a tray and push it Changgu's direction.

"He was," Changgu nods as he takes the tray, "but now, he's so happy. He's never been this happy before.."

I look back at the others gathered at the entrance. Hwitaek's playing with Wooseok's woolen hat, trying to readjust it and put it over the tall boy's head. Yanan's beside them, laughing shyly and sometimes pulling the hat the wrong direction—which makes Hwitaek squabble over the work he's lost. It's sweet to observe how Hwitaek fusses over them. I murmur, "You're like a family..."

"We are, huh?" Changgu chuckles, "we do love each other a lot." He leans over the counter to give me a quick pat on the shoulder. "Thanks, hyung! We'll see you again soon!"

"Yes, see you!"

I watch as Changgu joins the rest of his family, patting Wooseok's head before he passes out the coffees. Hwitaek grabs a cup but then lifts his other hand, expecting someone to latch onto it. Changgu holds his hand this time, and the group leaves.

10:23 am

The gap between Shinwon and Hyunggu's college classes. That's when the roommates run here from their university to pick up foodstuff for their dwindling collection. Of course, as time went on my discounts have been increasing. But we're friends now; we aged together as their money supply gradually became their tuition money. Why shouldn't I give my broke younger brothers a discount?

"You know the cafeteria, they sell these—these weird sandwiches—" Shinwon explains as the two sit at the counter, waiting for me to prepare the food.

"Oh right," Hyunggu says softly. His voice is sweet, gentle as he spoke. Shinwon's is more raspy and loud.

"Yes, god they're terrible. Seriously. Hyung, you're a lifesaver." Shinwon shoots me a grin. "Quite literally actually, since we would die if we weren't fed, right?" Hyunggu rolls his eyes and laughs. I just smile as I take out two boxes from the cabinet.