🥀 | nymphaea (wooyuki)

[ 𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄 ]

"nymphaea"
"water lily" symbol of purity, enlightenment, and rebirth

for maknaes' birthday
(it's not rly wooyuki three-ship but those three are the characters in this story.)

NEW YORK
1920's

Lights flare like candles in the glitzy cityscape; flickering dots beneath sparkles of gold and silver nearly burn Wooseok's eyes as he pulls his car into an unfamiliar driveway.

Days before, Wooseok had received an invitation from a friend he attended university with. Adachi Yuto is his name, though everyone calls him "Adachi". He sent Wooseok something terse and formal, along the lines of: "I live in this estate in the city now, you should visit. Much has changed since University, I presume," and Wooseok has taken up the offer.

He stands now in front of a rather large estate, the door black and domineering as midnight and white windows glossy with warm moonlight. It's a fairly pretty sight to look at, Wooseok thinks to himself as he awaits Adachi's appearance. It isn't long until he's greeted by Adachi and quickly ushered inside, where the two sit atop a leather couch stood beneath a dim, dangling light.

They talk for a little while. Wooseok learns that Adachi's been fairly busy while Wooseok explains that he's been living a relatively relaxed life in a suburbia hours away.

"Do you miss college at all?" Wooseok asks, eying Adachi curiously. Adachi had done well during their time at university, being an exceptional student and overall polite guy.

"Ah, not too much..." Adachi replies with a boyish grin. "I almost felt like I was missing something there... Now that I'm in the city, things are more refreshing. I feel like I'm nearly grasping my own fulfillment."

"Huh, I see," Wooseok remarks, "that's bound to be exciting."

"Yes," Adachi replies. "Surely exciting...maybe frightening too."

Wooseok nods slowly, glancing at Adachi's trembling hands. The slender fingers tap against his thigh frantically, anxious eyes darting up to a large clock that lie across the room. Wooseok's prepared to question Adachi's uneasiness until the man suddenly springs up out of his seat.

"It's nine," Adachi says. "We should get going."

"Where are we off too?" questions Wooseok, fetching his hat from the coat rack.

"The Glass House," says Adachi, pulling on a thick black coat before he swings open the front door.

The Glass House. It's apparently a pavilion, set in the center of town and as bustling and picturesque as one would imagine a glass pavilion could be. Adachi explains quickly that there's a party that takes place there monthly, set with performances and liquor and extravagance that sounds exhilarating to Wooseok. Adachi replies that it isn't all that impressive.

"I still don't enjoy parties," Adachi murmurs as the two exit the car.

"Then why are we attending one?" Wooseok laughs aloud, a spring in his step as he follows Adachi up the stairs to the building.