-5- A sign of life

-5- A sign of life

The days came and went and Zhan did not contact us. Not even his parents had to know exactly where Zhan was. He had taken it into his own hands and took care of everything by himself. The only thing his parents knew was the bank account number of the boarding school. He hadn't even taken his mobile phone with him.

I asked his parents why they even let him do this. Why they let him go when they didn't even know where he was going. And they just said he was so desperate and so messed up that they didn't think there was any other choice.

About two weeks after Zhan left, I told our parents about my true feelings for Zhan. I thought they might be upset or not be able to accept me. But instead, they said they already knew about it, and were sad that Zhan didn't know it. They told me that they knew exactly how we felt about each other and wanted to leave it up to us to decide when to say it.

Zhan told our parents the night before he left. They tried to persuade him to wait to hear what I had to say, but he had remained stubborn and because he was lucky that a place in his boarding school became available and he was already enrolled and paid for the first month, there was not much more to discuss.

When school started again, everyone wondered where Zhan was. Everyone in our class asked me about him. I hadn't spoken to Emily in the last two weeks. I just wrote her a note telling her that I wasn't feeling well and that she shouldn't worry and just wait until I contact her again.

I didn't even tell her that Zhan was gone. The teacher took care of that. He came into the class, greeted us, went through the attendance and then said, "I'm sure you've noticed that Xiao Zhan is not here. He has decided to leave the school and is now in a boarding school. He asked me to tell you all that he is sorry he did not say goodbye to you himself. And that he wishes you all the best for the remaining two years of school."

I fought with tears again. Emily looked at me questioningly, but I only looked away, and to the window. At breakfast break, the teacher asked me to have a talk with him. He asked me if I knew how Zhan was doing and why he changed schools in the middle of the school year. I immediately started crying again and told him sobbing that I was a complete idiot and didn't admit how I felt and that he loved me and now thought I didn't feel the same for him.

My teacher hugged me, something he's never done before, and told me that Zhan would surely come home one day and I should tell him about it. "If he comes to visit and you still feel the same way about him as you do now, confess your feelings to him. It's never too late for that."

I nodded and I took it firmly. I vowed to myself that if Zhan really does come back some day, I would tell him the truth and confess how I really feel about him.

After class and on the way home, Emily walked next to me and talked non-stop about what she had been doing for the past two weeks, how mad she was at me for not answering and how ridiculous she thinks Zhan is, moving to a boarding school in the middle of the school year.

At the latter I got so angry that I stopped, looked her in the eyes and said: "It's over. I don't want to have a relationship with you, I never really did. Just leave me alone." Then I stormed off and left her there. And she screamed at me in a rage that I would regret it. But I didn't care.

When I arrived at home I went upstairs, took my school bag to my room, freshened up in the bathroom and then went downstairs to the living room. Our parents sat there and talked about some new employee who caused real problems on the first day. All four work in the same company, even in the same department.

The new employee was also the number one topic of conversation for our parents the whole following month.

Zhan had been away for eight weeks and life went on. Somehow, but it went on. The announced revenge of Emily did not come so far, she rather tried to win me back again and again. But without success. In the meantime I became friends with Chuyue. Zhan had told him about his plans and he also knew about Zhan's feelings for me.