-10- Only two weeks

-10- Only two weeks

All I wanted was to have a nice evening with Zhan. But Emily's visit had completely destroyed the mood, and even after she left, the mood hardly bettered. I wanted to scream in rage. And if Emily wasn't a female and hadn't left, I would have punched her in the face. Simply because she dared to ruin the evening for me and Zhan.

I don't know how long we lay on the platform, silently next to each other, listening to the music and staring up at the night sky, until I suddenly felt two small wet drops on my forehead. It even started to rain. Hurriedly we packed everything together while I grabbed the big heavy blanket and ran into the house. As soon as we arrived there, it was raining like buckets.

Inside the house it was quiet and dark. Either our parents were already in bed, or they were going to the pub earlier. What they do from time to time on the weekends. When we were still sitting together in the yard, they were thinking about whether they still wanted to go out or not. Basically, it didn't matter.

Zhan and I went up to my room. He went to take a shower first, and when I came back from the bathroom to my room, Zhan was sitting on the windowsill in front of the wide open window and looking outside. It was still raining very hard and the wind had also increased. I went to Zhan, who hadn't even noticed me, and sat down behind him, I put my arms around his hips and my head on his neck.

"I'm sorry ZhanZhan."

"Sorry for what?"

"Sorry about Emily. If I had confessed my feelings earlier, I never would have been with her, and I never would have hurt you."

"You don't have to be sorry. I understand that. Don't be so hard on yourself about this. It is what it is, and there's nothing we can do to change it. We should try to make the best of it and learn from our mistakes. Because if I had opened up to you sooner, it might not have come to this. So don't blame yourself."

Even though we're both the same age and our birthdays are only two months apart, he's so much more mature than I am. Right now I'm even older than him, since I turned 17 yesterday and he's still 16. Nevertheless, he seems to me to be much older.

I no longer dare to look at the clock, because I know that with every passing minute, our farewell is getting closer. The thought catches up with me again and again, no matter how hard I try to repress it. I just can't believe that he is flying back to South Korea this afternoon.

"It's only two weeks this time, you know?"

"What's two weeks?"

"Until we see each other again."

"What?"

"Remember? In two weeks the summer holidays begin and the boarding school will be closed during that time. Everyone will go home to their families. That means I'll be back in two weeks and then I'll be here for six weeks."

"Really? You'll be home for six weeks?"

"Mn. So it is. When you were in the shower, I remembered again. It's funny I hadn't thought of it before."

I hadn't thought about it either, and now that I know it, I can't wait and I'm really excited. So it'll only be two weeks before I can see Zhan again, and then I'll have a whole six weeks with him. This knowledge made my heart feel lighter again and the thought of the pain of saying goodbye was not as bad as it was two minutes ago.

I hugged Zhan happily and kissed his neck with joy, which made Zhan giggle. Our mood improved again and the thoughts of the anger about Emily faded more and more. I only wished Zhan would stay and not leave again. Not this afternoon, not after summer holidays. Of course, I do not begrudge him his last year in South Korea, but I'd still like him much better with me.

"ZhanZhan?"

"Mn?"

"I love you."

"I love you, too, Yibo." He replied, and my heart leapt with joy in my chest.

Happily I hold Zhan and just can't believe how much I love him and how connected I feel to him. I've always felt connected to him in this special way, but it's never been like this before. And even though I'm only 17 years old, it feels like I've found in Zhan the person I want to grow old with. What I always wanted, only now, I want him as my life partner.

Back then we dreamed and planned of women and children, today these dreams and plans are foreign to me, because today I only want one thing, with Zhan at my side, as my life partner, to grow old.

Zhan got up from the windowsill and went to his suitcase, he rummaged around in the side pocket looking for something. And when he found it, he smiled and pulled it out. It's a little paper bag he hands me. "Here, I bought this for your birthday. Sorry, I completely forgot."

I took the little paper bag and opened it. Then I tipped the paper bag so that the contents slid into my hand. I put the bag down and looked at my gift. It's a necklace with a pendant engraved with " We two, against the rest of the world." Zhan took the necklace and put it on me. My hands were shaking too much.

Speechless and grateful, I looked at my new necklace and pendant. I just didn't know what to say, because this engraved sentence was something Zhan and I used to say when we were children, when we sat in the yard and played. We used to say it when we allied ourselves against our parents. We also said it when we were lying next to each other and, as we often did, looking up at the starry sky and talking about our future. "No matter what happens, we two will stick together. We two, against the rest of the world." That's what we said over and over again.

When I turned my eyes away from the shiny silver around my neck and I looked at Zhan, my sweet boyfriend, I pulled him to my body, put my arms around him and said, "Exactly. We two, against the rest of the world." And then I kissed him.

I lifted Zhan up and carried him to the bed where I laid him down and myself beside him, all without taking my lips off his. The troubles of the evening were forgotten and all that mattered now was Zhan and me and nothing else.

 The troubles of the evening were forgotten and all that mattered now was Zhan and me and nothing else