-15- The end of the summer holidays

In the past six weeks, Zhan and I have enjoyed our summer holidays to the fullest. We had spent a week camping by the lake, just the two of us and absolutely undisturbed by anyone else. I think that was the best week of the whole six weeks. Just him and me and our love for each other. And I proposed to Zhan on our last night there. I knelt down in front of him in the tent and, with the ring that my grandma secretly gave me, which is a family heirloom, I asked Zhan if he would like to marry me on his eighteenth birthday. And he said yes.

Then we were as a family with our parents and grandma on a resort with a spa hotel. Our parents had saved up a whole year for it and so we could spend a full two weeks there. There were many other activities offered besides the wellness. For example diving, kite surfing or bike tours. But also romantic things like movies and music under the starry sky or night walks to discover the nature anew. Zhan and I have tried almost everything.

The remaining three weeks we spent a lot on the beach, alone or with friends. Even Chuyue was often there and never got tired of telling us how great Zhan and I looked as a couple.

My grandma also started the chemotherapy. She felt very bad after the first treatment and she even had to stay in hospital. The doctors said they were thinking, considering whether they should start with radiation. Since the cancer proved to be more aggressive than initially thought. And as soon as possible, she should be operated on.

Our parents started planning Zhan and my wedding last week. They said that it couldn't start soon enough. I don't know what the four of them are most excited about. The fact that their sons love each other and want to marry, or that after all these years of friendship, they will finally be a family. I don't really care, all I care about is my Zhan.

Unfortunately the end of the summer holidays came much too fast and now it's time to set the alarm clock and go to school again. It is probably a very exhausting last year. There are many exams ahead of us and for that we have to study, study, study. But luckily I have my clever Zhan with me again and then at least it is enjoyable. Because a sorrow shared is a sorrow halved.

Emily and her parents moved away, by the way. Apparently, I wasn't the only one she was trying to denigrate. It turns out she was blackmailing several classmates. One student she allegedly blackmailed was particularly bad. I don't know how it all came out or by whom, I only know that the day Zhan and I came back from camping, a police car was parked in front of their house. And that same night, her parents came to our parents' house and complained to them about their suffering.

When we came back after our two-week family vacation, Emily's parents' house was empty. Neighbours told us that they moved from one day to the next, when more and more angry parents were at their front door. A neighbour said they moved to Hong Kong, as far away as possible from Beijing and all the trouble.

Today we picked up the new school uniform. I wonder if it's really necessary that we have to wear a different school uniform in our last year, or rather color, than the others?

When we were just in the shop to pick up the uniforms, we also met some students from our class. They were totally happy to see Zhan again and they were even more happy when he told them that he is back.

We also met Zoey. She always got along well with Zhan and ran after him for a long time because she had a big crush on him. When she saw Zhan, she ran towards him and jumped into his arms. I thought my pig was whistling when she threw herself at him like that. But then she said cheering, "I am so happy for you and Yibo. You guys are so perfect for each other." She had just saved herself with that. And when Zhan told her he was back and going back to our class, she started crying.

I think only now does Zhan realize that he has always been a popular student. He never realized it. He also never noticed how many girls at our school had a crush on him back then. Until now he only knew about Zoey and she was really after him and often told him that she was in love with him. But Zhan kept rejecting her. Now I know why and I'm glad.

In the meantime Zhan has also read through the complete diary and that, what I started anew. He took a pen and wrote on a blank page of the new diary: "I'm back and I won't leave again, I love you. Your ZhanZhan." I'll still continue to write in the diary. Only now I'm going to save all our special moments in it. Hopefully, there'll be many more.

Tonight we will spend one last night on our wooden platform. The last night before school starts again and our summer holidays are finally over. We want to fall asleep once more under the starry sky, arm in arm.

Somehow I'm looking forward to school, too. I'm totally excited at the thought of what the other students will say when they see Zhan again, especially with me. And what will our classmates say when they find out that we are not just a couple, but engaged?

Even though we are still very young and have plenty of time to do so, I can't wait to marry Zhan already. And tomorrow, when it's his birthday, I'm going to give him a ring that I bought from my savings. There are two rings, one for him and one for me. He has the ring my grandma gave me, but I want him to wear a ring I bought. And I want us both to wear the same ring, so that everyone can see that we love each other, belong together and want to marry.

I don't care if there are people who look down on us or judge us for our love. As long as I have Zhan by my side, I don't care what anyone else thinks.

***

First day of school

Freshly showered and with our new school uniforms, Zhan and I went to school this morning. I asked Zhan if he was nervous. He stopped, took my hand, shook his head and said, "Not a bit." Then he smiled and we walked on.

We had been so early, there was nobody in the classroom when we got there. We sat down together at a table and waited anxiously for our fellow classmates, who arrived one by one. And one by one, those who didn't know that Zhan was back, looked at our table, stopped and then came to greet Zhan.

Especially the girls in our class started cheering. They laughed and giggled. And when they saw the rings, they screamed. "Oh, my God, you're engaged." And I nodded with a grin every time.

"353 more days until I marry Zhan." I said proudly.

In 353 days, Zhan will be 18 years old and my husband. And even now, I can't wait any longer. Even though marriage won't change our relationship, the thought of being able to call him my husband then is just great. I'm excited already and I can't wait.

 I'm excited already and I can't wait