Sunset

When we got back to reality, it was all work and no play. I was in the midst of exams and working on final projects and my mom's magazine was due to come out right as we got back. My friends had missed me and were not nearly satisfied with the few pictures and details I sent them from France. Cassidie had demanded to know about how Jack and my mother got along and I ended up spilling about our sexy drunken night where my mom caught us naked the next morning.

My friends were all going to college except Marnie, who was my age and had another year of high school left like me. Scarlet was the only one who didn't know where she wanted to go to school. She seemed torn between saving money and staying home and leaving home to go to a school all the way across the country. Cassidie and Milo were both going to a school in the area and Damien had decided on a school just half a day's ride from home.

It was the end of May when I finally had a weekend free of studying and projects. Jess had suggested we hang out and go out to an ice cream place with our significant others and although I wasn't interested in ice cream that much, I decided not to pass up a chance to see my cousin. I arranged for them to meet at my house and was surprised when they showed up at my door having taken Lynn's car.

I was having a good time, hanging out with Lynn and Jess showing them my bedroom when I felt the most poignant impending doom feeling I had ever felt. I recognized the feel of the chakra even before I heard a knock at the door. Panic stabbed through my heart and I yelled to my mom not to answer the door. When I made eye-contact with Romulus across our apartment I was torn between saving my mother and trying to get Jess and Lynn out of the apartment before confronting him. I didn't waste time trying to call Jack because he was supposed to meet us in ten minutes.

"Hello? Can I help you?" My mom asked him in a stony voice like she knew how dangerous he was.

"Stay in here!" I hissed to Jess and Lynn, who both joined me in the doorframe and looked confused. I closed the door behind me and started slowly towards my mother. His harsh chakra practically physically pushed me back and the urge to phase seemed to get stronger and stronger as I approached. I didn't even feel like I could speak, I was concentrating so hard on not phasing.

"Chaos, this is going to be more fun than I expected!" Romulus called to me.

"Silver, who is this?" my mom asked me with a look of disgust on her face. I had a rabid scowl on my face and I tried to keep my lips closed over my fangs which had sharpened in my mouth.

"Silver? Hah!" he laughed with a crazy fanged grin.

"Get out!" I spat, putting my arm in front of my mom and getting her away from the door.

"Silver." She said in a low voice, sensing the danger we were in. To my despair, Jess and Lynn came out of my room when they heard me and my heart was beating so fast I could barely see straight.

"Now, now, that's no way to speak to family." Romulus said sneakily as a blond woman sauntered down the hall to join him and he stepped into the apartment. "You can call me Roman." He told my mother. "This is Athena."

"I'd prefer it if you both would leave." My mother stated in a low voice, putting her arm around me and pulling me away from them as they moved to stand in the apartment. I could feel others coming and their chakra was so strong I felt like I was drowning in it. I felt paralyzed by the rubber bands.

"I can't do that." He answered.

"I'll call the police if you don't leave." My mother threatened him. I could feel her body shaking as she still clutched my shoulders. Lynn and Jess were frozen in the hallway, but I could tell they weren't scared like they should've been. Clearly, my mom knew enough from my father to fear this man.