Chapter Three

Kirito's POV

I wasn't on shift today, so I had time for myself at home. It wasn't the best, especially since this morning I was still at Asuna's house. Last night was probably one of my worst experiences, just thinking about it puts me on the verge of tears.

I was staring blankly at the ceiling, thinking about what I was going to do today. I didn't really feel like doing anything... my bed was the only place I felt some comfort.

A wave of sadness washed over my body, as I realised I was truly trapped with Asuna until I found my soulmate... but even when that happens, what will Asuna do? Would she let me live a happy life with them? Or would she try to keep me for herself...?

I shook those thoughts away and turned to my right, looking at my bedside table. There were multiple cups and bottles sitting atop it, as well as some packets of pills.

But there, sat in the middle on top of some tissues was a blade. The only thing that took away the pain of having to live like this, and the abuse I faced from Asuna.

She knew all about my self-harm issues because, well, she won't let me hide any part of my body when having sex... however she doesn't say anything about it, in fact I think she doesn't really care.
She touches the scars and cuts sometimes, but not cautiously, I believe she tries to cause me more pain when she presses down on them.

Why?

I tried to look away before getting any second thoughts, but a voice in the back of my head just told me to pick it up.

So I did.

I didn't really realise what I was doing, a few minutes of blurry eyes and swift hand movements led to a stinging sensation down my left thigh.

I was pulled back to reality when I felt the warmth of blood trickle down my leg, and having been lying down, it was now soaking into my duvet cover.

I quickly stood up, shaking slightly, and made my way to the bathroom.

This happened quite often, so a lot of this was just routine.

I cleaned up the crimson streaks, and wrapped some gauze carelessly around my thigh. All the while having tears cascade down my cheeks.

Every so often, one of these 'sessions' got out of hand, and I can hardly remember what happens. Other times, like this one, it almost feels like I wasn't in control of it...

I looked up, my eyes meeting my own reflection. The tears kept pouring, but even then, my soulmates eye seemed to sparkle.

It was weird to see an eye colour that wasn't my own, yet it still cried my own tears. Did they know when I was crying? I don't think I know when they cry...

The thought of my soulmate made me smile, I wanted to live long enough to see the owner of these eyes. It's the only thing keeping me going most days...

I was ripped out of my thoughts by my phone going off, I quickly wiped away my tears and went to my room.

I answered the phone and held it up to my ear.

"Hello-"

"Kirito! Oh my god you should have been here today!" Lisbeth practically screamed down the phone.

"What happened?" I asked, wincing slightly as she squealed in delight.

"There was someone here you should have seen! Their eyes Kirito...!" Lisbeth gushed in a quiet tone.

My eyes widened slightly, what was she trying to say?

"I can tell you're confused Kirito-kun! But, well, there was someone here with your eye colour." She said, I could basically hear her smiling.

"R-really?" I questioned, my voice quivering lightly.

"Be sure to come to work on time tomorrow... I hope they come again! I really think they're the one for you Kirito..." She whispered. "I have to go now, Asuna is asking for me. I hope you're okay... see you tomorrow." She added, then hung up the phone.

I stood in silence for a while, not really believing what she had said in such a short period of time.

Could it be true? Did my soulmate really come into the cafe I worked in? What did they look like?

I started to shake, not only in panic, but also with excitement.

If this person was really my soulmate, they must live nearby right? I had to have seen them before... but who knows?

I put a hand on my face, my breathing became a bit wobbly and uneven. But a pleasant feeling washed over me as I thought about the idea of finally having my soulmate.

That reminds me... does Asuna know about them? I hope she won't do anything stupid, even if she has done some horrendous things to me... she's still my friend and I don't want to lose her.

I looked towards my bed and scowled at the small blood stain. I started to change the cover and move it to the washing machine. Doing what I did earlier... when my soulmate was just at work... what are the chances of that huh?

I now felt a bit guilty... and scared.

What if they thought I was disgusting because of what I do? Would a soulmate really think like that? I mean, in the end we are all just people. I've heard stories of people mistreating their soulmates, and some of them are absolutely disgusting.

How is that possible? I don't understand... but I do know that it's happened.

Please don't be like that.

I'm praying that this person is nice at heart, but even their eyes scream kindness so I don't doubt it.

I smiled to myself, this was a weird feeling. To know that your soulmate might be so close without you knowing...

I decided to make myself some coffee, as that was always a good way to calm me down. It's the whole reason I wanted to start a cafe business.

And it seems that this dream has bought my soulmate right into my arms.

——