Chapter Seven

Kirito's POV

I awoke to a dimly lit room, the only source of light being a window to my left. It was late in the evening, so the streetlights had been on for a while.

I looked to my right, my vision blurring slightly at the movement, and noticed a familiar figure sat beside the bed.

"Kirito! You're awake!" Asuna said, a hand going to grab my own.

I didn't reply, and just looked around the room a little more, trying to recall what had happened.

Ah... I fainted.

"How did I get here...?" I managed to ask.

"An ambulance came... uhm Eugeo called them." She replied, her tone was harsh. "B-But he left, he doesn't care about you Kirito, you should just get some sleep." She added.

I was confused, Eugeo didn't seem like the kind of person that doesn't care about people... but I don't actually know him yet, it's also quite late. He could have left without a choice?

"...Did he say anything before he left?" I asked, my eyes getting heavy.

"No... no, he just came in the ambulance and left after you were dropped off. Listen, stop thinking about him for a minute, we need to talk about what we're going to do." Asuna said, almost desperately.

I waited for her to continue, bringing my hands together in front of me.

I didn't really want to talk right now, but Asuna knew I had found my soulmate, and she didn't like it. I always knew she wouldn't be accepting of it, but I didn't know what to expect- I still don't.

"I know you want to be with your soulmate... but are you really going to leave me? I've learned to love you, Kirito... you're so nice to me all the time. You can't leave me, I want you to move in with me." She said, sitting on the side of the bed.

I knew she was just trying to manipulate me, but I'm pretty sure if I said no I could lose my job... but I don't want to live with her at all.

"Listen... we can talk about this another time... I just need to sleep right now." I mumbled, my mind already drifting away into my thoughts.

I didn't hear a reply, only footsteps, and a door closing- annoyingly loud.

I didn't know what I was going to do, Asuna didn't really love me, she was using me and I knew it. But she's sad, and still mourning the death of her soulmate. She refuses therapy, and never even talks to me about it. I suggested that she should at least write her emotions down, but she was too afraid someone other than her might read it.

I sighed, and finally closed my eyes. I'll figure it out in the morning.

Just as that thought crossed my head, I heard the door open again. I assumed it was just Asuna again-  maybe she had forgotten something- so I kept my eyes closed, pretending to be asleep.

The presence took a seat by my bed, and I heard them sigh. They didn't sound like Asuna...

"I'm sorry we had to meet under these circumstances... However, it's probably more eventful than what other people witness when they meet their soulmate." The voice whispered, at least I knew who it was now. I decided to remain still for a little longer.

Did Asuna lie about him leaving? Is she trying to take me away from my soulmate before I even get to know him?

"You're actually really pretty... I never thought I'd be saying that to a boy..." He whispered again, chuckling lightly.

My heart warmed at the sound, as well as the compliment I had just received.

Is this what love feels like? Are the things Asuna do to me an act of love? Or is she lying? Does she really love me?

I heard the chair creak, telling me that Eugeo had just stood up, as well as the crinkle of a piece of paper.

I felt a hand slip something into my own, the contact was so brief yet... it felt so unbelievably right. The warmth of his hand against my cold one, it almost made me cry out in joy.

My heart was bumping heavily against my chest, if he was close enough I wouldn't be surprised if he could hear it.

There was a series of footsteps, followed a soft click from the door closing, I figured he had left. The room was left silent apart from my breathing, I decided to open one eye, cautiously.

When I saw no one was there, I looked down at my hand.
A slip of paper lay loosely in my palm, a feeling of warmth washed over me, my soulmate had put that there.

I unfolded the paper, and realised it was a handwritten note.

'Kirito,
It was nice meeting you today, and I'm sorry I couldn't wait for you to wake up. I just wanted to give you my number, in case you wanted to message me. I would like to get to know you- since you are my soulmate. Also, you better treat me to another drink! When you fainted, I didn't get a chance to finish my drink, and had to leave it altogether!
I'm glad to have finally met you...
Eugeo. x'

I turned the piece of paper, and saw his number scribbled quickly on the back.

The feeling that had suddenly overcome me was so intense I felt like I was on fire!

A big smile had found itself on my face- probably the most genuine smile I had done in my whole life- and no doubt was my face also as red as a beet.

I held the note to my chest, I felt like a high school girl who had just learned that her crush liked her back. Except it wasn't just a crush, it was my soulmate.

The person I would be spending the rest of my life with, the person I have a bond with for eternity, the person who I love, and loves me.

What a wonderful concept...

I really hope this will end up as I've always dreamed it would.

...I really hope Asuna doesn't ruin my life even more.

——