The Village

My eyes slowly open as the morning sun streams in and I sit up slowly. My head spins slightly as I do. I feel my heart race as I gasp and put a hand over my chest. "Roan." I say as I notice him standing in the doorway.

"Just arrived. Fire demon wishes to see water child." He says. "Ok." I say rubbing my eyes clear of sleep. "Come." He says as he waits by the doorway.

I stand up on shaky legs and groan as pain shoots through my abdomen causing my pulse to quicken. "Roan help. Lean." He says as he walks closer to me and I lean against him the best I can.

We walk outside and I notice many huts similar on the outside as the one we had just walked out of. There were women amongst the men, same in height. "Staring is rude water child." Roan mumbles as we continue down the path.

Trees surround the small village providing shade and refuge. The wind blows lightly and the sun makes patterns on the cool grass. It is peaceful here.

We walk to a hut at the end of the village. Larger trees and vines surround the border making it impossible to see through and into the village. "Fire demon here." He says letting me go. "Roan stays outside." He explains as I grip on the entrance and nod before walking forward. My legs seem weaker than before. "Thank you." I reply and he nods before turning and waiting.

I walk in to see that this hut has no beds or furniture. It only has chains and holds to hold those chains. I notice Charles is sat on the floor in the corner.

"Charles." I say softly causing his head to snap up. "Angelina." He replies as a smile forms on his lips. "They wouldn't tell me anything about you." He practically growls before his eyes take in my appearance.

"Where is your shirt?" He asks his eyes darkening. "I'm not sure, it isn't like you can see anything." I reply and he lets out a huff of frustration. I slowly make my way to him walking along the wall so I have a grip on something.

I grimace as I sit beside him and my body instantly relaxes as his scent invades my nose. His shackled hand grips onto my free one softly and he exhales. "Are you ok? You look a bit flushed." He asks as I lean my head on the wall. "Roan said that the arrow had poison on it so it will take longer for me to heal." I explain.

He lets out a deadly growl causing my grip on his hand to tighten. "I'm ok, they have been nothing but kind." I say and he rolls his eyes. "They have me chained up." He says annoyed. "They think you are a threat." I respond.

"As they should. I do turn into a fire-breathing beast when provoked." He shoots back. "I see the sedative is still in your system." I say. "Sadly. Or else I would break out of these chains, grab you and go home." He states.

"Where are we?" I ask him. "A small eleven tribe they are lesser known." He says. "I thought elves were supposed to be breathtakingly beautiful." I ask. "They are depending on the tribe. These are woodland elves they live deep in the forest, hidden by trees and their magic. They are healers but they are also very protective of their lands." He explains.

"Let me guess we were trespassers?" I ask and he nods. "We really need to be more careful." I say causing him to chuckle. "I think you're right." He replies and I kiss his cheek softly. "I missed you." He whispers softly.

I feel a blush creep onto my cheeks. "If that's the truth, then why didn't you want to hold my hand or speak to me before we got captured?" I ask him softly.

"I have never been close to anyone outside of a few people and those people have left or died. I do not want to become close to you only to have you taken away from me." He responds. "Well, I'm sorry Charles but I am not going anywhere." I say shrugging my shoulders.

"That prophecy says otherwise." He retorts and I shake my head. "Some prophecies can change. I will make it my duty to be one of those." I reply.

He smiles softly and kisses my head. "For someone who has been in the water her whole life, you sure are brave." He says smirking. "We do have creatures in the big blue deep sir." I say playfully as I nudge him.

"Time for water child to rest. Come." Roan says from outside. Charles looks up at me and nods. "Be careful water child." Charles says smiling. "Oh, shut up fire demon." I smirk and he feigns hurt before helping me up.

Once outside Roan takes hold of me once more. "Roan, when can we go home?" I ask.

He is quiet for a couple of seconds. "When water child has healed." He replies finally. "Can you unchain him?" I ask. He shakes his head no. "Only when water child is well and ready to go." I sigh softly at his words and nod.

He leads me back to the hut and gives me some kind of meat and a piece of bread as well as water.

I sit on the bed letting my body relax. I feel weaker than yesterday which is odd. I catch my breath before attempting to eat some food.

When I'm done, he comes back to collect my tray but he also brings some gauze. I could barely stomach anything much other than the water.

"Lay." He says and I do as I'm told and lay on my back. He unwraps the bandage from the bottom and takes off the old gauze pad.

His eyes are on the wound as his movements pause. "Stay." He says quickly walking out the door. He brings back two men with him. They quickly start rummaging through their bags.

"What's wrong?" I ask them. "Do not fret water child. We fix." He says as his hands shake slightly.

Worry clouds my brain as I feel my breathing become labored and sweat drips from my forehead. "Now." Roan tells one of the men. I yelp as a sharp pain is felt in my arm. I notice him put a syringe down and I feel my head get light as my eyes get heavy.

"Everything will be ok water child." Roan says as they cut off the bandage and cover my top half with a towel.

I try to form a word but my mind is sluggish as my eyes close and the outside world disappears.

_____________________________________________

~scarletbride30