Never Forgive, Never Forget- Darkstache

Here's a short thing (Headcanon? Drabble? Ficlet?) I wrote a while ago that I forgot to post. Look closely at the above art. Do it. Props to miomeu on Tumblr for the amazing edit.

Warnings: gun mention, amnesia, insanity, angst.

Headcanon that Wilford is forgetful (after WKM and all), so the other egos help remind him of things. Bim tells him when he has interviews and Google keeps track of his schedule and to-dos. But Dark is the one who knows Wil enough to keep him sane.

Dark is patient and always there to gently remind Wilford when he gets confused: "Didn't I do that already? Where'd I leave my gun? What's their name again?". There would be lulls of silence in the middle of the conversation when Wil struggles to remember his train of thought. He quickly bounces back and changes topics and Dark never says anything about it.

Of course, Wilford is aware of his forgetfulness and would occasionally be upset when he can't remember things (cue dangerous gun waving): "There's that name again, right on the tip of my tongue: Celestia? Celestine? Ceiling?". Dark is always around to redirect the conversation before it veers into dangerous territory. If that doesn't work, distractions always do: "Wil, could you get the bottle of bubbles? Would you like to go for a walk? Dance with me?". Dark is always there for Wilford, always has been and always will.

Dark learns to not compare Wil to his former self or accidentally call him "William". He learns to hide that clenching ache in his chest when he sees his oldest friend bury himself deeper and deeper in madness. He learns to remember what Wil forgot, the good (Remember when we were kids, William? Remember Damien and Celine?) and the bad (Remember Mark? Remember what he did to us?).

Dark doesn't forgive. Nor can he, will he, ever forget.