023.

CHAPTER XXIII —
THINGS OF A NIGHTMARE.

CHRISTIAN BLAIR HELD HIS DAUGHTER IN HIS ARMS as they waited for JJ to leave the police station

CHRISTIAN BLAIR HELD HIS DAUGHTER IN HIS ARMS as they waited for JJ to leave the police station. It had only been about an hour since his arrest but with every passing second, Cassidy felt more and more distressed about the situation.

"Baby," Christian sighed, tightening his grip for a moment when the door opened and Cassidy jumped, slumping when she saw that it was, yet again, just another officer instead of the blonde boy. "They gotta process him and I don't doubt that boy has a shit load of restitution to pay."

Cassidy slumped even more at the words, her heart dropping into her stomach. She knew that there was no possible way that JJ Maybank would be able to come up with enough money to pay for what they had done. Not legally, anyway.

"I want to help him—"

"Cassidy—"

"I want to help him," Cassidy declared, no room for her father to argue against what she had said. She didn't care if she had to tap into her college fund; she was helping JJ pay back every cent and the moment she saw that he was okay, her destination was Topper Thornton.

At last, the doors to the station opened and JJ trailed out after man that Cassidy assumed to be his father. She stumbled forwards and wrapped her arms around him with an exasperated sigh, sinking into his hody when he carefully hugged her back.

He didn't dare look at his father who knew nothing about his secret randevuoux with the princess of Figure Eight. He had wanted to keep her hidden and untouched for as long as possible before he could possible ruin what they had.

"How much is it," Cassidy asked softly, her eyes meeting his for the first time since he'd been arrested. JJ shuffled uncomfortably in his spot and laughed dryly, kissing the top of her head as he gave her own father a curt not. "T-Thirty thousand."

"Why don't you introduce me to your friend, Son," Luke Maybank spoke up, his eyes locked into Christian Blaire's. He knew exactly who the Blaires were but he had no idea that his son was practically leaching off of Christian's daughter.

JJ looked between Cassidy and his father before his eyes flickered to Christian's with a silent plea for help. The man stepped forward at the look and stood infront of the two, smiling a business like smile at the boy's father.

"Your son has been helpin' out my daughter, Cassidy. He's a good boy, Luke."

Luke Maybank scoffed at the words and gave JJ a look of disgust. In his eyes, JJ was the worst mistake that he had ever made and if he could go back in time to prevent it, he would do so with no hesitation.

"Good boy, huh. That boy right there owes them people thirty thousand dollars for that damn boat," he scoffed, giving him another look of disgust that made JJ cringe against Cassidy. He was terrified to leave with him.