4: Pork Chicken Adobo and Banana Walnut Bread

Today is both Ash and Belle's free day at school. The previous day, they agreed to spend the entire afternoon at Baker Beach. She seldom goes to Baker Beach because it's a little far from her apartment but she gave in with the younger lass' insisting that they should spend the afternoon and watch the sunset together. She agrees with Belle that the sunset at Baker Beach is lovely, add to the fact that it gives the San Francisco bridge an amazing view at sunset.

As she has promised, she cooked Belle's favorite Pinoy food. Belle says she misses her lala's Pork Chicken adobo so she promised Belle that she'd cook for her. In return, Belle brought some pastries that her dad has baked.

'Belle is blessed to have a daddy who loves her so much and cooks her favorite food,' she noted.

She suddenly missed home. 'Sana andito din sina daddy at mommy..' She was talking to herself in her mind while seated with Belle on her favorite corner of the beach. But then she shook her head, determined to overcome the feeling of homesickness. She chose this. She wanted this. She has to live with it.

"Aaaaassssshhhhhh! This is the best adobo that I've ever tasted!" Screamed Belle, oblivious that the older woman beside her is deep in her thoughts.

She snapped from her musing and tried to hush Belle. She's the one embarrassed with Belle's shouting as if a crazy lunatic.

"Belle, anu ba, maupo ka nga!"

"Seriously Ash! This is better than dad's adobo and could make a run at lala's adobo" Belle still can't get over how delectable her Pork Chicken adobo is.

"Don't say that Belle, they might get jealous at me," she was amused at how Belle appreciated her cooking. "Is it really that good?" She asked Belle.

"I love it soooo much! Can I bring home the remaining adobo?"

At this point, she can't help but smile widely. 'Englishera ka nga pero dugong pinoy ka pa rin Belle,' she silently talked to herself.

"Oo na, oo na, iyong iyo na!"

With that, Belle was suddenly jumping with glee. "Yehey!"

"Oh and before I forget, you have to taste dad's Banana Walnut bread, he bakes one of the best. You could say I'm biased but well, this one's legit! I'm not exaggerating but it's even better than the ones you buy from the bakery stores."

And true enough, Belle was not kidding! She loved the Banana Walnut bread. It was moist and delicious. She also loved the slight taste and aroma of cinnamon added. She's one of the few people in the world who loves anything with cinnamon. And whenever she hears banana bread, she couldn't help but recall a happy memory during her The Voice Kids stint. His promise to bake banana bread for her and coach Lea was never fulfilled.

'Minsan din talaga si coach, drawing eh' she was shaking her head at the thought of the happy memory.

Belle noticed this. "Is something wrong Ash?" Belle was suddenly worried

"Wala naman Belle, may naalala lang ako."

"Awww....I hope that would be a happy memory."

"It is a happy one," she assured Belle.

"Cool! Baking always triggers a happy memory in me too. When my mom was still alive we usually baked cookies and brownies during the holiday season. The house would be filled with the aroma of the pastries. I thought dad would stop baking when mom died but I'm glad he didn't stop."

She was surprised to know that Belle no longer has a mom. Maybe that's the reason why she is so close to her dad.

'Pareho pala tayo, ako din e nawalan,' she said in her mind.