27: Angel

Their flight landed at around 2:30 in the morning which is a good thing so they won't attract too much attention. They are used to being themselves in San Francisco that they needed to remind themselves that they are now in Manila, the land of the paparazzis and news mongers for celebrities.

"Love, can we go grab some coffee first before heading home? I don't feel tired yet. I feel like I'm still in San Francisco's time zone and have just started with my daily grind."

"Sure, let's just get cleared in the immigration, then let's pick our luggages. The driver's already waiting at Bay 29."

They were lucky that not a single person had suspected them until they reached their waiting vehicle. They were able to find a local coffee shop a few meters from the airport where they ordered coffee for To Go. Since they need to be careful, they opted to have their coffee inside their vehicle.

A few minutes after they had their coffee, she was already asleep while leaning on his shoulders. He chuckled at the lovely sight of his wife. "Really, daily grind?" He then looked ahead and instructed their driver, "Kuya, I think we better drive home."

They were now driving through the Skyway when he heard her crying in her sleep. "Pauwi na si mommy, antayin mo ako ha, dadalawin kita agad."

It was a short statement that pinched his heart. "Kuya, take the next exit then make a u-turn, we need to drive to QC."

The driver was puzzled as they were already approaching Alabang but nonetheless followed his directions.

She was still asleep while he instructed the driver to stop over and buy a bouquet of pink roses and white daisies at a flower shop they passed by.

At exactly 4:00 in the morning, they reached their destination. He reasoned, 'It is a good time to visit at this wee hours of the day. At least she could have a quiet time with her angel.'

"Hey babe, we're already here." He whispered to her ear. He tapped her shoulders as he showered her face with tiny kisses. She stirred but still didn't wake up. He tapped her shoulders a little stronger and this time she slowly opened her eyes.

"Did I doze off? Are we home already?" She asked one question after another. She tried to look around and was surprised that they're not yet home. She tried to peer through the dark tinted window of their vehicle.

"Are we in a cemetery?"

He nodded.

She looked up to him with questioning eyes. "Love, how'd you know?"

"You were sleep talking."

"Am I?" She asked unconvinced.

"Yeah, now, come on, before the day gets busy." He opened the door of their vehicle and reached out to her hands but he felt her stiffen. "Relax..you've dreamt of this right? You've waited for this for so long and besides, she's waiting for you too."

She doesn't know what to do. She is afraid of what she might feel once she sees her angel. She is scared of feeling the guilt, the regret, the sorrow and the pain. But deep inside her, she is yearning to see her angel, she is longing to talk to her. She just doesn't know how to start. Her whole being had stiffened and her hands are as cold as the cool breeze on that early morning, and she couldn't be more thankful that he has his hands clasped with hers. His hands gave her warmth, like that of a fire on a cold and snowy evening, his hands gave her assurance that no matter what she goes through, he is with her. She closed her eyes and shooed away her fears and with a determined face, she gave him a nod. "Let's go!"

As soon as they entered the mausoleum where her angel was buried, she knelt down and poured her heart out. She was asking for forgiveness over and over again, pouring out all of her guilt all those years.